Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: With 2 you get eggroll  (Read 4705 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
With 2 you get eggroll
« on: May 17, 2011, 11:11:04 AM »
An interesting bonus to the tube I got is that almost 30 years ago it was discovered to have a round in it still.  After some effort, this was extracted from the tube:

Looks like a crude 10pdr bottlenose Parrott bolt with a funky high sabot, but I just looked in D&G and found it to be a rarity 10 CS imitation Parrott bolt. 

I think the provenance on this one pretty much nails it as CS which Pete had some question about in the 1993 edition of Dickey and George.

ETEX

Re: With 2 you get eggroll
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 01:43:37 PM »
You are one of the luckiest guys I know. You can fall in a barrel of %^% and come out smelling like a rose. Buy me a lotto ticket some time. How do you go about pulling a artillery shell from a tube. Glad you got the tube.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 03:01:43 AM »
Nice, but I would have left the shell in it and considered it a part of it's history.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 04:58:25 AM »
Of course, then you wouldn't know if it was a shell or a lump of possum crap.

Mike, what is your new Southern address?

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 03:38:49 PM »
One might be a bit curious what is packed behind it.  If not removed you'd have to make sure it's not aimed at the wife and kids but instead points at that annoying neighbor.
Best,
Carl

Bill Ewing

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 03:53:13 PM »
Did I miss the story of how you got a tube at your young age?  As I recall you are not too far from my age which is 40 something.  If so, you would have been a teenager at most.  Well do tell that story or is it somewhere on here?  And at that age, you must have hit the lottery or mowed a great deal of lawns with some good investment advice. :P

Bill

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 06:56:06 PM »
Bill:

I just got the cannon (see the "how I spent my weekend" post), but the round was removed from it ~30 years ago by another fellow who owned the cannon back then.  It was kept with the gun.  I did not get all the details of its extraction, but apparently it involved heating the barrel up.  Presumably, the extractors had it pointed in a harmless direction when they did this on the chance there was good powder behind it which I assume, Jay, is why they went to the trouble of getting it out.  I don't know but the round is out now and I am happy to have it to look at and keep with the tube.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 01:49:28 PM by emike123 »