Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Marshall/Tyler 3-ringer  (Read 11195 times)

AggieReb

Marshall/Tyler 3-ringer
« on: January 30, 2011, 06:33:29 PM »
Removed
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:42:55 PM by AggieReb »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Marshall/Tyler 3-ringer
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 11:28:42 PM »
Welcome Wes.  I am too tired to respond fully right now as it is pretty late.  I'll have to look at Tom's picture, but Danny once told me that what folks have labled as a Baby Austrian is a similar bullet with a mold flaw.  We will have to wrestle with that here subsequently and I'll need to send Danny an invite over to this new forum so he can add his usual excellent graphics to the discourse.

ETEX

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 02:01:19 PM »
Wes,

I was going to attach a photo of what I have in my collection as a Baby Austrian but the photo is too large at to post and I am leaving for work. Like Mike said some believe the Baby Austrian must have the mold flaw. The bullet I have measure .576 x .930 x 448. The cavity is between a concical and a MM 4 cavity. I will get the photo down to size and get it posted when I get a chance.

Thanks,
Michael

ETEX

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 01:50:24 PM »
Wes,

I have resized the photos and hopefully I can get then loaded for everyone to see.

ETEX

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 01:52:45 PM »
Wes,

Sorry about the two bases here is the bullet.

Tom Stelma

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 10:57:40 AM »
Hello,

On the "Baby Austrian" in the SCWB2 section 08-045 or 046, one is from the collection of my friend Skip Mayorga (-045) and the other is from my friend down south in NOLA (-046) which show a difference in the diameter and the cavity cavity with both bullets coming from the Princeton, Arkansas area.

I believe Skip would be the better judge and authority on this bullet than I but I will add my poor comments on what I do know.

The bullet in the RB vol. 4 I can not comment on but I can comment on what bullets are in the museum in Tyler, Texas.

I saw no bullet that looked like the bullet -045 or -046 in the collection there in the museum. Unfortunately I could not get better pictures or measurements due the fact of the security of the case in which they were displayed in.

They had the following bullets which were found in a warehouse type building being rejuvenated as a private office complex (I think that is right). The following types of bullets are on display there the 69-caliber "Louisiana Troop" bullet "SCWB2, 09-023, McKee and Mason 291 & Thomas and Thomas 194 &
SCWB2, 09-031, McKee and Mason 313 & Thomas and Thomas 206b and they had 69-caliber round ball, a couple of 577/58-caliber 3-groove elongated ball and as far as I could see no thick base on either bullet and they had a 31 & 44-caliber revolver bullets along with some buck shot on display.

Please pay attention I do not believe all the MM 291 bullets were made there but have no proof of them being made else where, perhaps Shreveport or Little Rock prior to its occupation. I do believe the bullets were made in Marshall, Tx. & transported to Tyler, Tx. for cartridge making.

I hope this helps a little as I will when time permits me to look up this information for better clarity and explanation on the bullets of Tyler, Texas.

Tom Stelma

ETEX

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 01:57:17 PM »
Tom, I appreciate the information and have never given much thought to the MM-291 and it being associated with Tyler. I need to get over to Tyler and take a look at what they have set up. It's hard to believe I am only about an hour away and haven't been through the museum yet. Keep up the good work your researching of ACW relics.

Tom Stelma

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 03:11:16 PM »
I am presently awaiting the arrival of RB part 4 to see what is said about the Tyler arsenal and look at the pictures and will give you an update as soon as I can.

I am sure it will be loaded with information as Dean Thomas does good research.

Tom Stelma