Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Rocker Base Sharps/MM-636  (Read 8870 times)

ETEX

Rocker Base Sharps/MM-636
« on: May 15, 2011, 03:59:49 PM »
The majority of these bullets appear to have been dug in Texas Cavalry Camps in Arkansas. I believe a few may have come out of Oklahoma. I have also heard speculation that these have been found in Indian War sites. I would appreciate diggers/collector's input/comments on this Trans-Mississippi Bullet. This bullet was either inadvertently left out or not posted in the RBRF 4.

ETEX

Re: Rocker Base Sharps/MM-636
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 04:04:53 PM »
The upright photo did not attach with the original post. It is a little better photo of the quality of the bullet with a different angle to see the rocker base.

acwbullets

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 04:34:23 PM »
I have seen a few from Oklahoma but the majority of the ones that I have seen come from New Mexico and are found in sites that predate 1860. They are quite often dug with other Gomez & Mills Sharps bullets. I think that these weren't intended for Confederate use but may have been used by them anyway. Either way...it is still a rare bullet.

Aren't you supposed to be working ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:37:03 PM by acwbullets »

ETEX

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 04:53:58 PM »
The establishment had to work on the fire suppression so I got to play hookie today. Wow it's a novel idea and strange event not inspecting meat or poultry 24/7. :o

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 12:17:46 PM »
The one Dean has for sale was found in Indian Territory.  Like Ian mentioned, it's in a group of bullets including a Gomez & Mills.

Skip

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 10:35:04 PM »
The ones that our group has found in Arkansas came from Arkansas and Missouri cavalry camps. One thing that we've noticed is that the camps that the
rockerbases came from all had Sportsman's Sharps also called Sharps Shorts
(M&M 467) on them.