Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: C. S. Archer Safety Pin Percussion Fuze;  (Read 8827 times)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: C. S. Archer Safety Pin Percussion Fuze;
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 02:40:01 PM »
I am hoping someone will come forward with the answer.  BTW Carl that is a excellant pair of images you posted.
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 03:17:43 PM »
Thanks John.  I forgot to ID the shells.  The one on the left is a 10-lber size (2.9-inch caliber) with the heavy pre-engraved sabot.  The one on the right is a 20-lber (3.67-inch caliber) shell for a Parrott rifle with a standard Brooke sabot.  It has a "G" clearly stamped on it.
Best,
Carl

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 08:27:36 PM »
  John,         I hope someday you make a print book of your images. They are pretty good and informative, and it looks like you put a lot of work into them.....   thanks for the effort !!

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 09:01:35 PM »
Thanks Dave for your kind comments.  This last one of the Archer Fuzes is a composite of individual drawings made over several months. The quality of my drawings is directly related to the high quality of the real images they are drawn from. They are time consuming but exciting to make. I have over 600 U.s. and British color plates.  Too many books out now on the subject. Besides I promised Doug Adams, my mentor, not to publish until after his fantastic book on Field Artillery which will include all aspects of ACW equipment.  I just happened to meet this amazingly talented person when he was working on projectiles and fuzes.
Kind Regards,
John

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 10:17:13 AM »
this is what we find around here. I see them in 6.4 Brooke shells. However I only have a bolt
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 11:00:03 AM by divedigger »