Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Mansfield Ohio Civil War Show - May 2014  (Read 9631 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Mansfield Ohio Civil War Show - May 2014
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:33:38 AM »
I am surprised no one started a thread on the Mansfield Show which is just around the corner.  This is one of the top two biggest shows and is a must not miss if you can.  It is 7 buildings and 750 tables and seems bigger than that.  The living history is unmatched by any other Civil War Show.  For more info see:
      http://www.ohiocivilwarshow.com
Dealer setup is April 2nd and the show is the 3rd and 4th.  Mike and I will have a table so please stop by and say hello.  It is a chance to see Mike in action!  We look forward to seeing everyone.

Also, as with most shows, if you need anything drilled or cleaned the show can be a convenient time to drop the item off.
Best,
Carl

tom buckley

• Email
Re: Mansfield Ohio Civil War Show - May 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 06:57:01 AM »
I'll be there.

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 07:13:48 PM »
I'll have a table in Fair Haven building.  If any one wants to split the table with me let me know.  I usually bunk with Pete but he will not be making the show, so if any body wants to share a room I have a bed available.
Dan

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 07:35:12 PM »
I love Mansfield -- the Show which is great and put on by fabulous people, not the town which is pretty unappealing unless you want to see the prison where Shawshank Redemption was filmed and then leave immediately.  As CanisterD said to me once, "The first year I don't go will be the year I'm dead."  So, hopefully I'll be seeing CanisterD there for the next 50 shows or so ;-)

Our table is inside the middle building off the circle with the flagpole, second aisle from the right, about the third table back from the front door.  Right between John Sexton, George Juno and Rick Burton which is entertainment enough.  This is the only show other than Chicago that I personally set up at and both are out of support for the cause/promoters, not because I like standing around behind a table -- particularly Sundays which are extremely painful -- while others shop.

Tradition is Carl buys Yeungling beer for all forumites Saturday night at the only decent restaurant in town so please make yourself known. 

Here is a link to info on the show.  If you look closely you might see yours truly:

http://www.ohiocivilwarshow.com/photos.html
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 07:48:41 PM by emike123 »

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 11:11:13 PM »
I'll be there helping a friend in the Fairhaven Bldg. as well as looking to see what I can find to spend my money on.
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 11:04:24 AM »
  Unfortunately, both of my friends who could give me a ride to the Mansfield show were unavailable for that this year. Please tell folks I'll be back next year.

Y'all have fun, and please post some show-reports.

Regards,
Pete

alwion

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 09:46:41 AM »
This seemed the best place to post what a great time I had at Mansfield, meet several forum members there, got a nice canister, and overall had a great time. Congrats to Canister D for his display and award, was just awesome. Great bunch of guys we have here, and I learned alot!! although spending time with Mike, Carl, and David causes me to want to spend money on more shells:}  My other collections may suffer!!!!Thanks Guys

tom buckley

• Email
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 10:48:30 AM »
I had a good time at Mansfield and got some interesting bullets from Mike.
Two of the bullets were .69 RBTRF IV 550 (I think). They are in very nice condition, .685x1.04 and .687x1.07 with deep cone cavities. One is a bit crude with an air bubble and flashing in the cavity. Does anyone know if these are eastern or western bullets? I tied to attach pictures on my phone but couldn't figure it out. I guess that I'm not ready for the 20th century yet.
My big purchase this year was a nice one-piece Virginia state seal button.
I am assuming that everyone checked out the display about Horizontal Refreshments. It seemed to be quite popular.

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 02:14:23 PM »
I mostly enjoyed the Mansfield Show. It was only my second time there. It was a little damp and cool, but not enough to slow the diehards down much. I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with 6lbgun and Alwion for the first time and of course Mike and Carl. I picked up three James pieces. Mike guided me to a bolt and a shell, both 3.8" Type II and both in really nice conditon which I picked up. I also got a fantastic 3" Hotchkiss bolt from Carl. As far as selling, all I sold was half a sectioned 12 pnd case-shot shell, but then I didn't have much for sell to chose from. Hope everyone else had a good time too.
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 04:43:32 PM »
     Great show as always.  Got to meet John P. and of course Mike and Carl.  Since Mike's taste in CS stuff and mine are the same, I figured I'd try to keep up with Mike looking for stuff Friday.  Yea right.  That's like trying to keep up with the Road Runner.  Tried so see where he was headed and go the other way to get where he hadn't been to yet.  That didn't work either.  Decided to catch up with him once and while and ask if had seen anything I might be looking for.
    Spent much, much more than I made but picked up some good stuff.  Hope the wife doesn't ask to many questions. :-X
     Still have a 7" Brooke shell and a 7" Brooke bolt rolling around in the back of my Jeep.  Depending on whether I turn right or left, I'm either listing to port or starboard.  Gotta scrounge a dolly off a neighbor tonight.
God Bless
Dan

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 08:35:46 PM »
It was as always a very fine show put on by terrific people.  I enjoyed seeing and talking to many forumites and Carl was a terrific wingman as always.  I did pick up two very nice projectiles that I will post pictures of shortly.  I left immediately from Mansfield for Orlando for work and am only now getting back to an even keel. 

Dan, Alan, Tom, the Plumber and Jon got some very nice items at good prices.  Even CansiterD added to his collection.  Ed gets the biggest prize though for bringing along his charming wife who still seemed very agreeable after being at a dirty old Civil War Show when they were by our table.  Congrats to all.

I tried taking quick pictures of the projectiles I acquired for my collection --a 6.4" Lynall Thomas and a 3" Mullane with the drive in copper or brass fuse adapter and a type II sabot -- to post, but my rushed pictures were not very good quality and will only result in request(s) to take more so I'll post decent ones soon when I get a chance to catch up.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 10:19:47 PM »
This is the Lynall Thomas shell I got at Mansfield.  It was recovered in the Wilmington, NC area.  For more information on these uncommon projectiles, click on this URL:

http://www.civilwarartillery.com/hap/page211.htm

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 10:23:34 PM »
This is the 3in Mullane shell I got at Mansfield with the very uncommon type II sabot and the also uncommon to find drive in brass or copper time fuse adapter.  The sabot is only 2/3rds complete and the center bolt is missing.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 10:24:27 PM »
View of sabot posts

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email