Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: 10" Brooke Bolt  (Read 2691 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
10" Brooke Bolt
« on: March 14, 2014, 09:35:54 PM »
Jack Bell sent out a note today that he discovered this 10" Brooke bolt recently in a private Virginia museum.  In his book, a period photo of one is shown on page 71.  He had been unable to find one when he did his book so this is considered a lost projectile recovery!  FYI, the measurements are 9.86" by 10.98 inches.  He guesstimates it weighs 220lbs.  Ouch!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: 10" Brooke Bolt
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 01:03:05 AM »
I wonder why the tapered end on both ends.  It would seem on the powder end of the projectile that would force expansion gas pressure around the shell and lessen its range.  Perhaps it had a wooden cup or something similar on that end?  I would have guessed that Jack would have mentioned that in his book if Michie or someone had described anything like that.

Given that kind of weight you would also think there would be some lifting ears on it but if so they are not obvious on the image you posted.

Neat relic.  I suspect it would bury itself deep into the dirt when fired.
Best,
Carl

Selma Brooke Gunner

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 08:41:41 AM »
Awesome find. I have found mention of them in my research but never a good picture of one.

Thanks for sharing.
Gordon Thrasher
Selma Brooke Study
Kinston, Al
selmabrookestudy@yahoo.com

bigironman

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 11:39:11 PM »
Looks like a 10" elongated bolt for a smoothbore. Seen in photos of Charleston Arsenal. They had one at Ft. Moultrie many years ago.