Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Corinth Show - Weekend of 3/8/2014  (Read 4232 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Corinth Show - Weekend of 3/8/2014
« on: March 04, 2014, 03:15:01 PM »
Hello,

I just wanted to remind everyone there is a show this weekend in Corinth, Mississippi.  Details can be found in the show section of Mike and my sales web site.  I have not made the show before.  It is not a big show and this is only it's 5th year.  But I've heard good things about it and heard it needs more space so it can grow which is a good sign.  It is in a very historic area with Vicksburg, Shiloh, Chattanooga, and many other battles not very far away.  RelicRunner, TraderSean and I are going down on Saturday to take in the show from the morning until lunch.  Then we plan a tour of Shiloh which is only about 20 miles away.

If anyone has any cleaning or drilling of artillery they'd like to get to me at the show let me know and we'll arrange it.  Also always looking for good artillery to buy!
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
III Corinth - ians
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 06:49:22 PM »
Carl, Relicrunner and Trader Sean ditched the rest of us forumites and headed down to the Corinth Show early this am.  It's a small show so they made sure to finish with plenty of time to head up to tour Shiloh.

Here are RelicRunner and Trader Sean at Ruggles Battery position in the park.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Corinth Show - Weekend of 3/8/2014
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 01:07:37 AM »
It was a small show but pretty good.  It was very busy to start the day and you could hardly move around but it thinned out as the day went on.  Not really much artillery although a display did have a 3-inch pointed nose bourreleted Read which was cool.  There were a lot of bullets in very good condition with nice patinas on them but not knowing any more than general knowledge about bullets I didn't know which were rare and priced right.  We left about 2PM and filled our bellies at Borroum's Drug Store in downtown Corinth.  Amazing burger and collection of relics (American Civil War and American Indian) in the old drug store which opened in 1865.   RelicRunner, TraderSean and I ran into a friend there and had a great lunch. 

Then we went to Shiloh which is just a short drive up the road.  It was 70 degrees and sunny. The park is so beautiful yet the many markers and cannons remind you what a place of hell it was at one time.  There were many points of interest but the two biggest that stand out were the nest and the line.  The nest was an American Eagle nest in a giant pine tree just north of the bloody pond.  There was a small army of people with cameras seated in lawn chairs, etc. around the bottom waiting for a sighting of the nest owners.  The park even had a port-a-john there to help with the visitors.  The line was the line of cannons marking the location of Ruggle's Battery which shelled the Hornet's nest and Sunken Road.  That is what you see in the image Mike posted but it only shows about 1/4 of the line of cannons which run down the ridge into the trees for a long way.  The collection is incredible and includes quite a few CS tubes.  A plaque reported that Ruggle's Battery was firing 3 projectiles a second!  Shiloh is very much out of the way and not near an interstate but worth a visit for the person with an interest in the Civil War.  The park boasts 229 cannon with only two being reproductions.  There were many original rare cannon there.  Truly hollowed ground.  (As Mike points out my typo below that should be "hallowed ground".)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:12:37 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Corinth Show - Weekend of 3/8/2014
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 08:49:49 AM »
...and hallowed too.

CarlS

• Administrator