Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: MM-657/Tom Green/Anderson Enfield  (Read 16399 times)

ETEX

MM-657/Tom Green/Anderson Enfield
« on: May 07, 2011, 03:28:39 PM »
I am curious on the Tom Green and the small faint 1 ring that is very noticeable on some of them but can't be seen and don't appear to be on others at all. I have some with and some without the one ring. My knowledge base isn't that great on the Tom Green and need the professionals input on this faint ring seen on some of the Tom Green's.

Michael

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: MM-657/Tom Green/Anderson Enfield
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 05:27:01 PM »
Isn't it the line from where the top of the flange/skirt was crimped down on the cartridge wrapping paper?

ETEX

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 02:51:14 PM »
Another question on the Tom Green. I would appreciate information on the dig locations of the long body Tom Greens for those who have been fortunate to have dug one or more. I have seen very few of these bullets and it continues to be a blank spot I needing filling in my collection. A thought "the Tom Green comes in two body styles a short/medium is one body type and the long is the other." Everybody lock, load and fire away on this one.

R. J. in LA

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 04:34:43 PM »
Michael, the Tom Greens I've been fortunate to dig up in central & north Louisiana all had the faint 1 ring on the bullet.  All of my specimens are drops of the short/medium variety but two of my relic hunting buddies have found fired Tom Greens & the faint 1 ring is very visible on both.  Since I don't recall seeing examples without the 1 ring, could you post a photo of one in your collection without the ring for me to view?
Mike, I think you're correct on the origin of the 1 ring on the Tom Green but if someone can confirm or has other info. on the origin or other reason for this 1 ring, please post.
Thanks.

R. J.

acwbullets

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 05:29:37 PM »
I would agree with Mike on the one ring issue. You don't see this ring show up on the Gardner bullets because crimping area is located on the edge of the bottom groove.

ETEX

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 05:44:03 PM »
Ian, It's good hearing from you. I also agree with Mike but the majority Tom Green's I have seen do not show the ring. With that said a lot of the ones I have seen seem to have been soft fired or fired.

acwbullets

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 06:10:16 PM »
I would assume that the bullets without the rings were some of the first to be pressed through the crimping machine. It would only make sense that the hole they would be pressed through would widen over time. Even though the wear would show up it wouldn't harm the cartridge production process until the hole became larger than the bore of the muskets. You wouldn't see much wear on a steel plate but an iron one of the period would wear down quickly with that much pressure applied.

coonboy

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:03:30 PM »
I don't know if this will help or hinder the discussion but I will try to post photos of the last TG that I found behind my home. As for the long Tom Green, I was fortunate to find 5 of them and they reside in either present or past forum members collection. I found two behind our home where De Brays cavalry men from the Galveston area camped. The other three were dug back in the late 60's near Sabine Cross Roads. I am not too good with a camera but maybe the detail will show up .   Coonboy
Terry

ETEX

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 10:17:07 PM »
Terry, great photos. They show the one ring exceptionaly well. Well if you only dug five long body Tom Greens in your hunting I can't imagine there has been a great deal of them dug. I know of one long body in a forum members collection and I expect two other have them. Thanks for the photos.

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 01:02:46 AM »
Terry,

Sent you a PM.

Thanks,
Dave
Later,
Dave Slemmer

Bill Ewing

• Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 07:53:11 AM »
I have the regular and long bodied Tom Greens.  I think mine came from the Dance Gun Works at Anderson Texas but I would need to go home and check my records.  If you want pics, I can see what I can work up in a week or so.  I am stuck on a big project so time is limited.

Bill

ETEX

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 01:57:51 PM »
Bill, I would appreciate you posting the pics, but no hurry. I had this weekend off and will be back to 7 days a week for the next 4 weeks so won't be spending much time on the site.

Thanks,
Michael

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 02:24:08 PM »
Here's a long pattern one that Terry dug.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 02:24:54 PM »
...and a "regular" length one he dug with "57" in the base cavity

R. J. in LA

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 02:52:45 PM »
Thanks for the photos Mike.  Can you list the dimensions of both of those Tom Greens shown in your post that were originally found by Terry.

R. J.