Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Charleston Show  (Read 6532 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Charleston Show
« on: December 17, 2013, 01:28:57 PM »
All,

It's time to start a thread on the Charleston Show as it's only a few weeks away.  I'll be there with a table but my buddy Mike is preferring to stay buried in the snow than eat fresh shrimp on the beaches in sight of Fort Sumter.  Oh well....  If anyone can make it, please come by and say hello.  it's not a big show but it is a nice one and the location is hard to beat.  You can walk to the ferry that goes out to Fort Sumter or walk the Patriot's Point and tour an aircraft carrier (Yorktown) along with a handful of other boat.  Too cool!  There are a multitude of good seafood restaurants as well.

As always, feel free to bring any shells that need drilled and flushed or any you want cleaned.  I can mail them back or arrange deliver to another show or something convenient.  Drop me an email or call for any questions.
Best,
Carl

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: Charleston Show
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 05:49:34 AM »
       Carl, look forward to seeing you and all the 'usual suspects' in Charleston. It might not be the biggest show on the circuit, but it is a good one to be at. I always look forward to the down home low country dinner provided by Mike Kent on Friday evenings. Where you staying ??            David

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 02:23:32 PM »
I always seem to eat a bit too much in Charleston.  Gilligan's all-you-can-eat shrimp is quite the deal and the Crab Shack has an incredible low country boil.  I'll be in the hotel right next to the show.  Nice to be able to get out of bed and walk across the parking lot to the table.  The show is in a great location.  I wish it was during warmer weather though and then my wife would go and we could make it a vacation.
Best,
Carl

gflower

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 11:04:29 PM »
Carl,
I am sending a 100 lber with Dicky Ferry for you to clean up. Call me if you have any questions. G

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 11:25:09 PM »
Gary,

Sounds good.  Sorry you can't make it as it would be great to see you. Hope all is well.
Best,
Carl

gflower

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 08:48:43 PM »
Carl,
I vow to be there for the next one. I can't resist all you can eat shrimp! I hope you have a great show. Take care of my baby she and a few of her sisters were found at a little fort not far from there. G

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 11:31:34 PM »
Given the make, size and approximate location I can make an educated guess at that fort.  I had no luck there.  I guess you cleaned it out.

I am looking forward to shrimp Saturday night!  Lots of good restaurants around here.
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 08:12:21 AM »
I think I know where Gary is talking about and if its where I am thinking, its a little further down the highway.  Gary, you should tell that story for this crowd, edited for public consumption, especially now that those meatheads razed the fort so if only to preserve its memory for posterity.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 01:07:24 AM »
Well the shrimp tonight was great as was the collards and onion rings and carrot cake!  We have seen some really nice relics.   I purchased 8 shells and sold quite a bit of shrapnel.  It's been one of the better Charleston Shows I can remember.  I am looking forward to getting some end of show deals on Sunday. 
Best,
Carl

gflower

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 05:44:31 PM »
Ok, you twisted my arm and here goes the story Mike. My Dad (being from Savannah) hunted all over that city and started working our way in to lower S.C. Following Sherman's march and hitting as many of the standing camps and small and large skirmish sites in the low country. While researching I found a reference that said " send engineers to repair works at a specific landing" We were hunting a large battle near there And convinced Dad to have check it out. Only two houses at the site, asked the owner if we could hunt his property and he said you mean " the fort" low and behold next to his house was a big earthwork fort. The deal was if you find one He gets it if you find two we each get one! Sounded fair so we went at it! I will save the good details to be told over a few beers at a show but we pouched a lifetimes worth out of that site. Here goes the variants, 100 lb schenkels, 5.1 schenkels, 30lber, with brass naval fuses, JAD's 3.4 hotchkiss etc. a super honey hole! We were digging so many shells that we piled up the frags up against a tree unless they had a fuse or were really interesting. As always word go out we took friends who took friends and the place go cleaned out. I moved on with life i.e. college grad school family etc.  I was taking my family through the area about 10 years ago and wanted to show them the fort. Talked to a family member of the original who was living in his house who pointed to a trailer and a 300 pound sow grazing on what use to be a fort. Seems the family bulldozed it down so they could put the trailer on the property! I looked like that old commercial with the Indian Cheif who started crying when someone threw trash that landed at his feet! I was crying. Kids and wife asked why I was crying and I told them that those dumb asses destroyed a piece of history for a trailer! There you have it! Gary

ETEX

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 05:57:23 PM »
Great but very sad story.