Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Author Bill Graham to give a talk on the High Bridge Forts, January 1st 2014  (Read 3718 times)

Pete George

• Email
My longtime relic-digger friend and High Bridge scholar Bill Graham will be giving a talk on the High Bridge Forts on New Years Day. It will be held at one of The Confederate forts next to the bridge, at 1:00 PM, rain or shine.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
That's neat.  Should be interesting.  I spoke to him briefly once, but I had literally just seen a bear and was a little frazzled.  If you or others go, I'd like to know what those 3.4" cannon balls from there were to, a 4pdr?, a Blakeley?  I know there have been rifled projectiles in that diameter range found there -- think they would've had a few roundballs for those as well?  I have one from there and have wondered about it.

There was a painting of the Confederate retreat over the bridge auctioned day before yesterday.  I couldn't find the image, but found this bucolic pre-war (1857) view instead:

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Pete, do you know anyone who may have a sectioned Clay projectile from the High Bridge cache?
Regards,
John

Pete George

• Email
  Pardon the delay in replying, please. I had to replace my ancient computer. Data-transfer and getting the replacement configured took much longer than expected.

Mike, the 3.38"-diameter of the Solid-Shot balls in the fort's magazine indicates they were manufactured for use in a "State-Of-Virginia Reamed-&-Rifled 4-Pounder Smoothbore." But they could also be used in a 3.5" Blakely Rifle.

Here is my reasoning about their presence of 3.38" Solid-Shot in the High Bridge fort's magazine:
  Solid-Shot ammo is needed in "Counter-Battery Fire" artillery duels. (Time-fuzed shells can kill the enemy gunners but don't significantly damage the enemy's cannon.) The Confederates do not seem to have manufactured any Bolts for FIELD-CALIBER rifled cannons during 1864-65.  So, during that time, perhaps a small batch of 3.38" Solid-Shot balls were manufactured for the 3.4"-caliber and 3.5"-caliber rifled cannons in the High Bridge fort's armament.

If anybody here can come up with a logic-based alternative explanation for 3.38" Solid-Shots being in the High Bridge fort's magazine, please speak up.

John D. Bartleson Jr. wrote:
> Pete, do you know anyone who may have a sectioned Clay projectile from the High Bridge cache?

Bart, many-many years ago I saw a sawed-in-half Clay shell. It was definitely an excavated one (whose non-lead-covered iron nose was badly corroded), so presumably it is a High Bridge specimen. I cannot now recall who owned the "halfsection" I saw. I can only tell you (with certainty) that such a thing exists.

Regards,
Pete

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Thank you Pete, If other members may know please let me know.
Regards,
John