Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Corky Huey  (Read 4671 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Corky Huey
« on: September 12, 2013, 06:57:51 PM »
Corky was a very good guy; one of the truly good guys and a tremendous asset to the broader knowledge base of Civil War artifacts and many other areas as well.  I remember at the Richmond Show about 9 or 10 years ago when I had trouble with a rental car that he loaned me his while I took care of my predicament.  Always more than happy to help a friend, share his knowledge and he truly loved the artifacts.  Over the years he's had some incredible shells, fuses, bullets and many other things.   He until a few years ago had what will probably be an unmatched half-shell collection.  Many of us have a piece from it in our collection now. One of his big areas of interest was British import items.  Until I read the obituary, I had forgotten about his incredible gardens overlooking the lake in his backyard.  Caring and developing them were truly a passion of his.  He will be missed.
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Corky Huey
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 08:18:05 PM »
I agree.  I will miss him.

I am sure I will look up at the next Richmond Show and expect him to come barreling down the aisle

The first time I knew of Corky was when he budged me in line at the Marietta Show to scoop up a rare Preston percussion fuse.  I was a rookie chatting up Lawrence Christopher and Corky was a pro getting right down to business!  Later the Plumber and I bought quite a few of fuses from Corky, and I got that one back then which I can see now out of the corner of my eye while typing this.  More recently I bought a large group of base-marked Enfield bullets from him – Corky loved the English produced stuff.  Some of the folks here in turn got some of them, in fact I think that group produced ETEX’s long sought after MM216 which ironically wasn’t produced in England but in Corky’s native state of South Carolina.  I knew he was a South Carolinian through and through, but what I learned from his obituary is that my mother and he were born in the same town, likely the same hospital, (then small) Rock Hill, SC.

But Carl you are right, his backyard is gorgeous.