Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: "O" Stamped Borman fused 6 pound case shot and shell  (Read 2980 times)

misipirelichtr

• Email
"O" Stamped Borman fused 6 pound case shot and shell
« on: September 03, 2013, 09:40:48 PM »
In a couple of previous posts, various initials stamped on Confederate ordinance were discussed at length, and Mr. George provided an excellent reference sheet on the subject.  One initial/number that was not discussed was "O".  The attached photograph shows two Borman fused 6 pounders, one a case shot and one a shell, that have nearly identical "O"'s stamped on their sides.  Both were recovered from Vicksburg.  My theory is they were manufactured in the A. B. Reading Foundary in Vicksburg, as I've not found any references to them coming from elsewhere.  Just a theory, as I have not been abot to prove or disprove it based on hard data.  Any thoughts?

Pete George

• Email
Re: "O" Stamped Borman fused 6 pound case shot and shell
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:12:55 PM »
  Interesting!  Thanks for the post.

On one of them, the center of the Bormann fuze looks open. Was it drilled through the fuze? I'm asking because if the underplug's metal can be seen, I'd like to know whether it is made of brass or of  iron.

Regards,
Pete

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 08:56:33 AM »
Mr. George, it is open - the top of the fuse was blown off when fired.  I've not probed into the opening for many years, and frankly its been so long since I drilled it, I don't recall.  I will investigate tonight and let you know.

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 09:31:31 PM »
Iron Underplug