Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: M&M Commentary 1-15  (Read 7986 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
M&M Commentary 1-15
« on: December 20, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Other than #1 which I know is somewhat controversial because not everyone agreed with my brilliant insights when I first did this thread years ago, these bullets bore the crap out of me and I want to dispense with these 15 quickly.  Still, I am posting this to commence a complete review of McKee and Mason.  Perhaps my cavalier attitude will touch off a firestorm of debate about the 1000s of an inch difference between many of these, and I hope someone has great insights to share.  Absent that, I am looking forward to comments on the other threads.

1:  This appears to be one of the post-war match Whitworth bullets.  The one in the book has no patina, nor a cavity.  I believe Jim or Dean told me that the ones with the hex cast into them are post war.  There are some lightly fired war-period ones recovered which picked up the twist from the bore, but all those have a base cavity.  I say PU!
2.  Looks possibly fired to me
3  Dean and Jim list this as a Picket type.  Is an odd one as the only one on this page of M&M with > .55 diameter
4  Cosmopolitan?
5. See above
6. Fired
7 & 8. See #s 4&5
9 – 10:  Carved
11:  Jim & Dean list this as a CS slug for the Mississippi Rifle
12:  Dean and Jim list it as fired
13-15 Fired or carved

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Bill Ewing

• Email
Re: M&M Commentary 1-15
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 09:59:23 PM »
Concur with these descriptions.  If you want pictures of all the variants I have, I can work something up.