Relic Discussion > Artillery

Field trash or Grape Plate

(1/2) > >>

Major Mike:
Does anyone have photos of the plates used to contain a stand of Grape? (NOT cannister, GRAPE.) I have never seen or recovered such a plate, which make identifying this dug item a tad problematic.
Interestingly, it measures 4.5" so is consistent with a 12lb load.  It was found behind well bombarded Confederate artillery positions (Schenkl and Hotchkiss shell fragments had also been found in this area in times gone by.)  The square head bolt was found nearby the plate but not directly with it.  This area was outside the range of cannister, but within probable grape range of Union positions.
Based on terrain and distances,  the selection of a grape round for indirect "recon by fire" (to coin a modern term) would be feasible.  Still, it could just be farm junk.  I welcome more informed opinions.
Mike

Major Mike:
Side view

Dave the plumber:
Mike,   Personally, I haven't seen a grape plate with the protrusions on the bolt hole like you show.   Plus, stand of grape plates are usually thicker and yours looks like it was made of a more inferior metal to rust like it has.   But, with that said, I have been publically wrong on these forums before ...!!   Maybe someone else has a better idea and knowledge than me

alwion:
the way it thins and flares at the edge reminds me more of a machinery pully, maybe off a tractor or combine

gflower:
Ok I?ll say it, Field Trash. That is my humble opinion after 50 years of military relic hunting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version