Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Krupp shells 1870  (Read 6637 times)

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
Krupp shells 1870
« on: May 10, 2011, 04:41:14 AM »
Here are some photos of the famous Krupp steel breech-loading cannon and shells on display at the site of the Russian-Ottoman Battle of Pleven in 1877 (now in Bulgaria). The Ottomans had the Krupp cannon and poured murderous fire on the Russians. The Russians had American gatling guns, which I also have pics of if anyone wants to see them.

I also include a pic of the 6 pound Whitworth from the same battle.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 04:46:04 AM by scottfromgeorgia »

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: Krupp shells 1870
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 07:09:09 AM »
  Thanks for the photo's during your travels Scott.  What are you doing in Russia ??      Moving, leaving Atlanta ??!!     Less taxes ??   Russian bride ??!!

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 09:45:35 AM »
Scott,
  Nice images. Below is the Prussian C/80 percussion fuze in the shell you posted.
I know its not ACW but what the heck no one is posting.
Reggards,
John
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 09:48:24 AM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 11:35:38 AM »
Dave, I am actually in Vietnam now - these pics were taken in Bulgaria last year. I thought I would post them since there was not much activity, and you never know when a Krupp shell will surface on eBay. Now we all know what they look like. Best, Scott

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 09:01:07 PM »
     I have a bunch of Krupp shells. All different calibers too. And a cannister round. I collect all era's of artillery, not just ACW. I find it all interesting....
      And thanks John, I found the fuzes in the photo's to be very interesting also.  One shell I have, has the Armstrong style of fuze in it

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 10:05:46 PM »
Dave,
Post a photo of the shell and fuze please.
John

Selma Hunter

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 07:33:24 AM »
Believe it or not (not Ripley's or Ripley either, for that matter) the local high school here has and fires a Krupp BLof this vintage to start each football game.  And when the teams kick off.  And when it scores. And to start the second half, and to end the game.  Looks like Shiloh with all the smoke sometimes.  The team was state champ 4 years running, and typically scores 50 - 60 points (Friday nights sure are noisy in the neighborhood).  The nitwits welded a stub barreled Mauser action into the vent, and fire the rifle with a blank 7.62 cartridge.

Nice to have some "working iron" around town just in case those yankees get uppity again!