Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: It's raining iron!  (Read 7187 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
It's raining iron!
« on: April 11, 2013, 11:57:49 AM »
Hello,

I have some images from the 'Five Guys' trip that Mike reported on in the "General Discussion" area of the forum.  These two images are very on topic of the forum and might yield some good discussion so I opted for the artillery area.

The image below is of a 32-lber smoothbore cannon that was located in the Port Hudson defenses.  Ronmack took us on a tour of the battlefield that included seeing this tube.  It was taken to West Point after the war until it was loaned to Port Hudson to put on display.  Of note there is a broken muzzle, broken trunnion and an impact mark on the top right of the tube showing how brutal the shelling was at the emplacement that contained this gun.

With the cannon was a plaque that showed a period image of the same gun dismounted after the battle.  You can clearly see the broken muzzle and see the broken trunnion laying in the foreground.  Not a good day at the office for those Confederate gunners:

This cannon was located near Slaughter's Field on the south end of the siege lines.  It is now sadly covered by a Georgia-Pacific plant if I have the location right.  I'm sure Rommack can correct me if wrong.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:07:22 PM by CWArtillery »
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: It's raining iron!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 10:03:15 PM »
Another neat thing is one of Ronnie's friends found the missing chunk from the muzzle and donated it to the museum where it is now proudly displayed

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 11:06:52 PM »
Good catch Mike.  I neglected to add that and, more importantly, when I saw the muzzle piece in the museum it didn't occur to me to get a picture of it.  I'll just need to make another trip down there and get a picture of it so I can show the complete relic.   Rommack: Get the entertainment lined up!  ;)
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 06:48:01 AM »
I think I might have a picture of it so no more bar fights for a while.  I'll post it when I can