Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: grenade  (Read 7667 times)

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: grenade
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 01:04:29 AM »
Crazy find!  One thing that worries me is that the owner or police didn't seem too intent on finding out how a loaded grenade (I assume modern) ended up in his yard in the leaves!  I also didn't hear that they made any effort to see if there were more.  There should be more to that story.  You can't really buy those at Walmart!   ;D
Best,
Carl

joevann

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 11:00:13 AM »
Formerly Used Defense Site

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 02:23:46 PM »
Unfortunately, repeated experiences show that most Police bomb-squads don't know whether a munition is from the 19th-Century, or first half of the 20th-Century, or second half.  Also, they tend to not know whether the munition is active, or inert, or a dummy for army training practice.

Two examples:
Here in the Richmond area a few years ago, a local police Bomb Squad declared that a Geode (a rock) found in a car at the Richmond Airport was "iive" -- and took it to the police range, where they blew it with a shaped-charge. Strangely, they couldn't find even a single tiny piece of it afterward. (If it was made of metal, there would have been some pieces in the disposal hole.)

Also here in Richmond, back around 2000, the Bomb Squad (or Army EOD squad, I don't recall which) declared that a 10" iron/steel ball found during construction near the Tredegar Iron Works site was too dangerous to even be moved elsewhere for disposal. So they strapped charges to it and blew it on-site. The blast made the 10" ball hop into the air, but that's all.  It turned out to be a 10" Solid ball.

Because the Jacksonville Florida grenade was found during leaf-raking, it must have been dropped in the yard in very recent years.  You can buy Army practice-training "dummy" grenades easily at miltary-surplus shops and online. But we'll probably never know for sure what it was, because the TV-News crew was apparently unable to obtain any photos of it for the news-report video.

Note: Post has been modified ONLY to correct several typo-errors. For example, I do know how to spell the word disposal -- but sometimes I can't type it right.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:48:49 PM by Pete George »

joevann

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 06:17:33 PM »
Having had 38 years of DoD bomb disposal experience, I will agree with Mr. George's assesment.  Civilian police get a whole six weeks of training from a FBI contractor and then it's only ancilliary to their regular duties.  Military Ordnance is not their mission.  EOD training is much longer and a full-time job.