Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Semantics re: Artilley  (Read 3933 times)

callicles

• Email
Semantics re: Artilley
« on: October 06, 2013, 11:41:59 PM »
Hello All:

Since its been slow here, I think it is time for me to ask another sophomoric question.

I came across this writing from a soldier.  He says:

where two guns, one a 9-pounder north of the railroad and the other a 6-pounder south of the railroad, held the entire Federal army in check for a whole day

What would he be referring to when he writes "9-pounder"?  Is that a common name for an artillery piece?  I'm familiar with  the obvious 12-pdr, 6-pdr, 24-pdr, etc.  Any help would be appreciated.

mccaul

• Email
Re: Semantics re: Artilley
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 07:33:17 AM »
Could you provide the entire quote and the source as that would be helpful when answering the question.  Thanks,

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 07:46:28 AM »
A 9pdr is just like a 6 or 12pdr, but an in between size.

9-Pdr: Bore diameter: 4.20, shot diameter: 4.10; shot weight: 9.14lbs

These were used a lot by the British in earlier times, but are very uncommon during the American Civil War.  I am pretty sure only a few 9pdrs were used anywhere during our war.  Someone else may know the specifics on that.  18pdrs are another "obsolete" caliber at the time of the Civil War and thus scarce.

Thanks for posting something to stir things up here.  I think the guys have been celebrating Oktoberfest too much to post up much ;-)

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 09:14:50 AM »
A common but over-looked caliber for collectors is the shot-put caliber cannon that was used in most battlefields of the ACW. I was completely unaware of this important cannon until eBay helped correct my ignorance. These balls are often marked with the number of pounds of the ball in order to help the Yankees understand which balls to use.

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 08:09:55 AM »
One thing to consider is that maybe the soldier writing the letter, really does not know that much about artillery?

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 08:29:47 AM »
I did find a 9 lber (and an 18lber) in a civil war fort that had to use what was there until proper artillery could be mounted. As was the norm when war broke out the confederates seized the local forts and all the stuff inside which could be obsolete but still functional equipment. Around here it was an assortment of stuff but it was a boon to my collection. At least as far as round balls go. Evertything from 3lbers to 32lbers. But no 12lber. I am still hoping to find a 12lber somewhere.

relicrunner

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 12:14:42 PM »
I have always understood that the Confederates had at least one 9lber at Ft Donelson

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 05:29:19 PM »
Graves' Kentucky Battery had at least one 9 lber at Fort Donelson.

Ripcon

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 09:33:11 PM »
I have heard several accounts of soldiers referring to a "12 pounder" as a "10 pounder", especially at Champion Hill in Mississippi. So it could be that the soldier in question was referring to a 12 pounder gun and just called it a 9 pounder. You never know.