Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Interesting Bullet from Antietam.....  (Read 7797 times)

acwbullets

• Email
Interesting Bullet from Antietam.....
« on: August 26, 2012, 06:54:37 PM »
I just pulled this one out of a 5 gallon bucket of bullets. This one measures: D .477  L .763 solid base with sprue remnants. Interestingly enough I found one just like it but smaller in the same area many years ago.

tom buckley

• Email
Re: Interesting Bullet from Antietam.....
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 08:29:36 PM »
Ian,
Would I be right in assuming that this bullet fits into the "Tennessee Rifle Bullet" category?
Never having actually dug a bullet myself, I am amazed by the thought of a 5 gallon bucket of bullets. 8)

ETEX

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 01:43:17 PM »
Interesting bullet Ian. Gotta look at it and think on it for awhile.

ETEX

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 01:45:39 PM »
Ian, it seems more and more very unique bullets are coming out of Antietam. You should post more of the weird/different/unique bullets you have photographed from there.

acwbullets

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 10:57:34 PM »
Tom,

I would assume it would be a Tennessee style bullet but there isn't a cavity. Not really sure but there are several guns that were used at Antietam that could have fired it. I still have buckets of the stuff to pick up and many more jars, boxes, cans, etc. to go through that are full of bullets, plates, etc.

Mike,

One interesting thing is that you can see where the CS troops were later by the batches of Macon (flat base) bullets and .54 Kerrs. I'll see what I can come up with while going through the piles. I have several days of washing bullets ahead of me as most of the stuff isn't even cleaned.