Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Macon Arsenal?  (Read 8183 times)

.69caliber

Macon Arsenal?
« on: July 04, 2011, 08:23:44 PM »
Where, and when, did the bullets described as T&T 70 become associated with the Macon Arsenal?  The T&T Handbook does not make the connection.  Nor, does Dean Thomas in RBRF4.  I'm interested if the connection will or will not be made in one of the future volumes. 
Also, I like the comparison, in RBRF4, of the T&T70s to the Gallagher carbine bullets.  Makes sense since the Gallagher and Smith carbines were favored by the Confederates.

ETEX

Re: Macon Arsenal?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 04:11:51 PM »
Don, I am going to throw a different angle with several different bullets to solicit the same answer you have asked. For this post I have assigned the MM number of 305v as the solid base. The MM-305/TT-70C, MM-305v/TT-70B,MM-644/TT-172, and the MM-645/TT-172C all appear to be a very similar bullet. MM list the 305 as a Macon and the MM-644/645 as a Macon and Augusta Labs. I have a MM-645 in my collection in which the digger labeled as a 644. The question I pose is the 644 and 645 the same bullet but a varient and the same with the MM-305/305v. Now are these Macon produced bullets or Macon and Augusta Labs produced? Is there in definitive documentation on the production of these bullets. I know I am showing my ignorance again and I do that quite well and am proud of it. It's caused by these 2 or 3 hundred straight days at over 100 degrees here in Texas that does it to you. Just ask Mike, he has only been here for a partial summer. I have attached or attempted to attach photos of all but the MM-644 in which I will say I need one for my collection for anyone that has one or more than one they are willing to part with.

.69caliber

Re: Macon Arsenal?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 09:29:11 PM »
ETEX.
Thanks for the repl and welcome aboard.  Maybe we can get some answers.  I've never seen any documentation tying them to the Macon Arsenal.  That's why I brought up the question.