Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Prussians  (Read 2729 times)

Lazouave

• Email
Prussians
« on: July 07, 2022, 12:06:21 PM »
I recently acquired Terry Waxham's collection. I am going through it bullet by bullet and I am projected to be finished when I'm 123 years old.
I have pictured for "Prussian" minie balls. The two on left are very similar with lengths of 1.14" x diamter of .68". The third from left is 1.15" x .685". The fourth is 1.16"x .689".

I have referenced Mason and McKee and the forth minie most represents their pic with the really thick base. At that time they were described as Prussian and CSA. In "Round Ball to Rimfire" the origin seems more ambiguous.

Can anybody shred any additional info or ideas of the variants and their origins.

aggiereb

• Email
Re: Prussians
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 01:12:59 PM »
Unfortunately, the Bullet side of this forum is almost non-existent.  Therefore, I'll jump in. 

Glad to know Terry's collection is in good hands.  I used to live near him in Louisiana and was quite impressed with his collection.

In my opinion, the three bullets on the left are M&M 337/339 that were cut with a lathe to make the rings.  These are of definite Yankee origins.  There are also .54 and .58 caliber patterns.

The one on the far right appears to be M&M 336, known as a 4-ring Prussian (although the fourth ring in not always present, as with this one).  Note that the mold seams go through the grooves, indicating they were cast rather than lathe-cut.

To the best of my knowledge, the jury is still out on which side manufactured these. 

Wes

Lazouave

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 01:18:34 PM »
Thanks Wes, very interesting.

I didnt realize you had lived in the area at one time.

aggiereb

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 01:23:51 PM »
Spent 15 years in Ruston.  Retired a few years ago and returned home to Texas.

Made many trips to Vicksburg, Pleasant Hill, Mansfield, Poison Springs, Marks Mill, Port Hudson, etc. to visit CW sites.  Kinda difficult to do here in Texas since the Yankees never got this far.

Wes

LeonVa

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 02:57:30 PM »
I concur with Wes.

aggiereb

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 11:25:58 PM »
Where have all the bullect collectors gone?  I've been gone for a few years, but now see that this side of the Forum is almost dead.  I recall the days when we had spirited discussions, a few arguments, but basically a good time.

What can we do to revive those days?

Wes
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 11:31:17 PM by aggiereb »

Lazouave

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2022, 03:42:44 PM »
I would love to revive it. I have more interest in bullets.

On the other subject I graduated from LA Tech. Feel your pain....live in Irving, TX.

aggiereb

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2022, 09:58:01 PM »
No pain here!!  I was a misplaced Texas Aggie that got to return home!!  I will say that while in Louisiana, I'm glad to have been in Ruston.  LA Tech reminded me of TAMU before it exploded!! 

In an effort to revive the Forum, all I know is to throw out additional queries and try to encourage people to respond.  There are no wrong answers!!

I've already thrown out a question about M&M 418/419, but no one is yet to jump in.  I don't know why.  I used deodorant today in the heat!!!

Wes

Wilmington Mike

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 11:18:34 AM »
Just to let you know i check the forums here often, much discussion is out of my realm.  I do like bullets among other CW relics.  Here are a few recent acquisitions.
Carved Enfield bullet ( Sheffield arsenal I believe)
Fired Morse Carbine cartridge (one of six found on one side of a river in SC and a fired bullet on the opposite side.   The small caliber bullet measures .374 D and .696 L solid base from early CS camp in the lowcountry.  The only thing similar I've seen in books is #648 in M&M.

aggiereb

• Email
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2022, 07:29:57 PM »
WOW!!  An "S" marked Enfield.  Don't see too many of those.  You say it's from the Sheffield Arsenal in England?  I'm not familiar with that one.

I think you're right about the Morse rifle/carbine.  Nice Carolinas find!!!

Lastly, your small caliber has me stumped.  Any suggestions?

Thanks for jumping back on the Forum.

Wes
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 07:31:19 PM by aggiereb »

Wilmington Mike

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2022, 09:49:32 PM »
I have two more "S" bases, all from the same location.  A couple of "P" bases also from the same place with only Union relics there.  I am not certain about Sheffield.  I saw that reference on a dealer site.  I cannot verify that in my books.  Perhaps Jim or Dean Thomas can help.

LeonVa

• Email
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2022, 11:12:55 PM »
I believe Jim will tell you the S is from J. Schlesinger & Company in Birmingham

aggiereb

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 12:20:02 AM »
It's great to see the Forum coming back to life!!

How about all you lurkers out there?  Got questions??  So do the rest of us!!!  Jump in and we'll try to find answers together.

Thanks to those of you participating in this "Rejuvenation!"

In the meantime, does anyone have any comments on my M&M 418/419 with conical cavities?  How about you, Jim Thomas?

Thanks.

Wes

Lazouave

• Email
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 04:04:28 PM »
Good finds Mike!

R. J. in LA

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2022, 04:39:53 PM »
Nice Prussians John and nice bullets Mike, like that "S" cavity marking on your Enfield. Many years ago, I excavated a dropped Enfield with the "S" in the cavity base here in south Louisiana.