Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: 30 lb Parrott incendiary  (Read 11937 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: 30 lb Parrott incendiary
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 07:01:34 PM »
Bet it still cleans your paint brushes like turpentine though   ;)

Thanks for dredging that up John.  Interesting.

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 06:55:39 AM »
    sounds like a kitchen cabinet mix of chemicals - a lil' of dis, a lil' of dat.
   Maybe he invented the 'Long Island ice tea ' drink too !!

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 07:20:51 AM »
Dave,
    It took several hours to locate those two references. but now we have them for the record.
Best Regards,
John

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 07:38:46 AM »
well after all that I think I probably led you folks down the wrong path, although it was an interesting journey. My shell had the pitch compound coming out of the fuse during the boiling process. I collected it all up and put it in a container and when it cooled it was a shiny black hard substance like plastic. It may have been a matrix for the bursting cavity, as I think the bottom cavity is probably full of balls. Case shot in other words.The shell is heavier than a standard 30lber even though it is shorter. I plan on diving today but this afternoon I will be back in the "lab" and will do some more investigating. Thanks for all the insightful comments, David 

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 07:26:14 AM »
David,
   One post led to another.  Do you think that your shell is constructed like my 30 pdr drawing?  If so then it should be an incendiary not a case shot.  Although the substance you describe was used to fill the spaces in case shot.
    what leads you to believe you have a wall separating two chambers?  You may be hitting some of the hardened pitch.  The added weight sounds like case shot and not incendiary. that being said you should have encountered the loose case shot by now.
Let us know what you find.
Regards,
John