Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: 3.3 Confederate Dahlgren  (Read 3228 times)

Steve Phillips

• Email
3.3 Confederate Dahlgren
« on: May 17, 2015, 03:29:09 PM »
I finally was able to buy the 3.3 CS Dahlgren shell that was found on one of my dive trips to Selma about 25 years ago. I paid more than I ever have for any projectile, but there are only two known. The other is in The Atlanta History Center and did belong to Tom Dickey. That one was found at Port Hudson. I noticed that the fuze hole is very long, a full three inches which I assume was to put some extra weight near the nose to offset the weight of the heavy lead sabot. The photo shows the shell surrounded by Yankee Dahlgrens. I thought I would find one of the CS someday, but after many thousand dives at Selma and my advanced age I decided to buy it and keep it down here where it belongs.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: 3.3 Confederate Dahlgren
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 04:30:25 PM »
Excellent rare shell.  Congratulations Steve on a fine acquisition

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 10:52:29 PM »
Steve,

What a great addition to your collection.   That was pretty much a must have for you.  Congratulations.
Best,
Carl

alwion

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 06:44:49 AM »
Its so very interesting the CS copied so many shells, some on such small production. You would think with there limited means they would have found one shell and stuck with it. I started collecting different 3.3's, looks likethere are way more than I ever dreamed. Thanks for showing, very neat

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 09:22:27 AM »
The South had very limited manufacturing abilities but much more imagination than the North. Even with small resources the Confederates came up with many very successful torpedoes, the first submarine to sink a warship, the Coal Torpedo that sank the Sultana and was copied by many nations in later wars, polygonal and segmented shells, simplier manufacturing of projectiles to not wear out their manufacturing equipment and land mines. The Brooke guns were the strongest made on either side. The most popular US projectile, the Parrott was really a Read, patented by a Southerner before the war.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 03:07:57 PM »
steve, nice looking US at right.
  I have often wondered why the south should try and copy a shell that uses so much lead when Lead was a scarce commodity.like copper.??
Kind Regards,
John
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:01:18 AM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 10:25:10 PM »
I suspect that some of the copying was from the labs wanting to learn the pro's and con's of the various shapes, sabots, etc. so when they encountered something someone else was using they made a few to better understand them.
Best,
Carl