Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Cosmopolitan Type II  (Read 32699 times)

Skip

• Email
Re: Cosmopolitan Type II
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2012, 12:36:55 AM »
You are absolutely right. The sun will still rise tomorrow reguardless of whether they were field cast or arsenal made.

I did see your point about the cavity cup which would definately hold true on the great majority of bullet molds but the Gardner mold bullets had flared skirts so the excess lead may have had to be removed after the bullet had already been cast. How that lead was removed would determine if there was any flashing and since we don't know how they did it I considered it a moot point.

Simply put you were looking at it from the point of view that they were cast in a standard mold while I was looking at it from the point of view that they were cast in a modified Gardner mold. I did not intend to offend you in any way and I apologize if any offense was taken.

ETEX

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2012, 02:03:44 PM »
I am extremely impressed with the amount of information being passed back and forth on the Cosmo Type II. I haven't had the opportunity to research the bullet as Skip and R. L. have and this thread has broadened my subject matter on the bullet extensively.

I am very fortunate to have a Cosmo from Crystal Springs, Arkansas and one dug by Terry in Louisiana. I have been of the mindset that these were a one mould bullet but it appears that thought process may never be answered definitively. I was not aware of the Cosmo dug near Texarkana either and that bit of information surprised me. I am also curious on how many of these have been dug in Louisiana?

I have been on other forums and the previous forum that this one replaced and I continue to request that all posts/questions/answers/responses be answered in a professional and civil manner. I have seen hostile and uncalled for verbal attacks on individuals when attempting to respond to posts. I for one hope and believe this practice has ceased and will not rear it's ugly head again. These previous verbal attacks have lead to many extremely knowledgeable individuals with outstanding reference data and information on relics of all types to become what we refer to as the "Lurkers". I think this post on the Cosmo's shows that topics near and dear to some can be explored in a manner to present excellent information and data for each of us to analyze and formulate an opinion or thought process of our own. I applaud Skip, R.L. and Big Lefties inputs on this thread and the information shared in a manner that appears to me not to have stepped on anyones toes.

I wish I had more information to share on the Cosmo Type II and definitely welcome any others to respond to this thread with any additional information or thoughts on this bullet.

The Trans-Mississippi Bullets just keep getting better and better. Can't say enough about the Hindman, Cosmo Type II, Sterling Price, Churchill, Fagan, Mansfield, Baby Belgian, Baby Hawg, Arkansas Hawg, Baby Austrian, Teeny Minie's (State's Guards Minies), Rocker Base Sharps, Tom Green, MTE's, TME's etc etc etc.

Again guys thanks for the posts and information.

tmark

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2012, 11:03:04 AM »
Here is one more Cosmo type II from extreme NW Arkansas. It was found south of Maysville on a confederate calvery camp not far from the Oklahoma border. Not exactly sure who was at this particular location due to multiple calvery units operating in this area throughout the war although, I do think this camp was occupied leading up to the battle of Prairie Grove.
.527 X .932  The diameter is approximate due to basal damage. I hope this info can be of some use.

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2012, 02:43:23 PM »

That's a nice one.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

swest47

• Email
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2012, 03:57:31 PM »
Here is a Cosmo found by me 35 or so years ago. I have always assumed that it was field cast because it is so crude. It appears that the mold wasn't heated before the lead was poured. The lead cooled before it fully formed.

This example was found at Pleasant Hill, Louisiana. It measures .514 - .522 x .934. The ball isn't perfectly round.

ETEX

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2012, 04:16:03 PM »
swest47

That is a fantastic Cosmo Type II. I can't say I have ever seen a Cosmo with such distinctive cold pour lines/marks as on that bullet. I love weird bullets like that one and it's definitely unique and a keeper in my mind. If you decide you don't like it anymore let me know it would fit great in my Trans-Mississippi collection with my Louisiana and Arkansas Cosmo's. Being dug in LA. adds character to the bullet. Great bullet.

I am still curious how many folks have Louisiana Cosmo's in their collection or have dug the Cosmo's in LA. (Mike that is Louisiana and not Los Angelos in case you were wondering).

R.L. Bryant

• Email
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2012, 10:33:47 PM »
swest47s example is still another piece made in the same mold cavity as we have been discussing here.  Notice in the upper photo the difference in width between the right and left side lands, the offsetting of the mold halves, and the flashing at the skirt base.  These are all diagnostic similarities of every one of these bullets I have personally seen, including the 30 or so that have come from Prairie Grove, as well as all of the other indicated locations where these were found.  There still is nothing that has convinced me that these were anything other than field-cast from a single cavity, single mold.