Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Marshall Texas Enfields  (Read 19038 times)

Lazouave

• Email
Re: Marshall Texas Enfields
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 07:32:20 PM »
Hi ETEX,
found two more from Walker's Camp.
Thought these were interesting because the one in the attached pis on the right has a very shallow cresent and, also, a very shallow reverse mark compared to the other examples.

I have wondered about these for 20 years!
Glad you poseted about it.

ETEX

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 07:59:20 PM »
Are these 54 or  .577 Caliber?

Lazouave

• Email
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 08:08:53 PM »
Sorry, yes MTE short variant .57's.

pachaplain

• Email
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 02:06:57 PM »
Just came across this old post and I re-examined the Marshall Texas Enfield bullets given to me by Terry Waxham and one of them turned out to be one of the "Smiley-Face" variety. The smiley seems turned slightly sideways. It too is a short .57 variant with a diameter of .570, a length of .997 and a conical cavity with a depth of .256. Sorry I don't have a scale to weigh it. It seems very similar to T&T #146b, only slightly longer. I am attaching a couple of pictures I told of it. (Note: It also seems if the smiley goes clear through the bullet, but that an illusion because the camera interpreted the color of the smiley as matching the color of the background.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 02:08:57 PM by pachaplain »
Dennis

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 01:51:50 PM »
Regarding the "smiley face" and "dimple" found on these MTE Enfields, I have a cast 3-ringer with the same features.  Anyone find some of these in the TM?  I know from Coonboy that 3-ringers were also made/found at Marshall.  Could this be a MT3?  (Wes, do you like that name?). 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 02:06:31 PM by Jim T »

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 02:07:28 PM »
Here's the pics

Roy A

• Email
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 05:33:56 PM »
Speaking of the Marshal/Tyler 3 ringer, anyone know of anyone selling one? That was one I wanted to bid more on at the auction.

Roy A

• Email
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2015, 10:10:06 AM »
Wes,

Thanks! I really regret not bidding higher. I think I was the second high bidder, stopped myself at either 100 or 150 since it is really "just another 3 ringer"... but I do want one ha ha.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 02:01:14 PM »
So, does anyone agree that these unusual "smiles & dimples" could be used as proof of Marshall manufacture regardless of the type of bullet?

Also, I noticed in some previous posts that Marshall and Tyler rounds were combined as one (Marshall/Tyler).  If intentional, that needs to stop because they were separate and individual manufacturing sites.  While they may have made the same types of bullets, we should continue to research and look for characteristics that point to one site or the other.

ETEX

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 05:43:17 PM »
Jim have you or anyone else seen this type of markings come from any other arsenal and if not it may be unique and a classifying trait for Marshall Texas Powder Mill bullets? I am not familiar with other known arsenal bullets having this type of marking.

acwbullets

• Email
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 06:57:55 PM »
These markings also show up on type 1 Williams cleaner bullets. It has to be from a press.

ETEX

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 06:03:03 AM »
Ian, thanks for the input. Good to see you posting. If it is found on some Williams Type 1 cleaners then it could be found on a wide array of bullets from just about anywhere.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 08:31:47 AM »
OK Ian, show me.......... ;)