Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: I give up  (Read 2912 times)

Steve Phillips

• Email
I give up
« on: September 21, 2014, 10:45:47 AM »
Once again I try to post photos to this webpage and fail. This problem has existed for years and should be fixed by now. I can post easily to Facebook, emails and many other web pages but not here. If my photos are too big I think many others are having the same trouble and give up. We are limited to seeing only what more technically proficient posters can post. Why can't the webpage automatically resize photos or accept normal size photos. Think what we could see if allowed.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: I give up
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 12:36:56 PM »
Sorry about your challenges Steve.  Please email your photos to me or Carl and we will get them sized and posted asap.

We could certainly accept larger photographs on this website, but the issue is twofold.  First, the current size limit of 256kilobytes basically is what fits on a webpage and anything bigger requires scrolling to view the photo in its entirety.  That is somewhat inefficient particularly in light of issue #2, the more important one, which is money.  This is a free website for the users, but not free to Carl who pays the monthly hosting fees.  Those fees are a function of the amount of data stored on the website and pictures hog lots of memory exponentially with increases in their size.  Carl has never complained of his hosting responsibilities and I do not want folks to think he is a sore sport, but if we put several multi megabyte pictures up on this forum, he is going to have a higher monthly fee to pay which could very, very quickly translate to hundreds of dollars more per year.

As for auto-sizing, that is not an option in this software package we are using.  It runs many, many other forums and is also free to us, but it doesn't have unlimited flexibility in its settings.  Basically it allows us to restrict the attachment size to whatever limit we want, and doesn't do anything else to help us manage file size.

Facebook and other sites get plenty of $ from advertisers and others who mine your data and doesn't pay a third party for storage.  What they can do is a world of difference from what we can do here.  I wish we could do more and we will when those options become affordably available through this package or another one.

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 05:10:44 AM »
I had the same problem for awhile, Steve, but now use http://www.resizeyourimage.com/. It is fast and easy.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 11:23:05 AM »
Steve,
    Irfanview.com also is a free download, small and efficient simple to use. Under "image" you can select all sizes to convert your emage to. I don't think I can send you the program due to format.
This program is also a fantasic image viewer and will open most image, music and video formats. It is also constantly updated with free updates.
Regards,
john