Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Casting Anomaly  (Read 4414 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Casting Anomaly
« on: June 20, 2011, 07:40:39 AM »
I recently cleaned this 6 pounder cannonball found in the river in Selma.  One odd thing about it is the mould seam runs 90 degrees to the standard placement usually found on Civil War cannon balls.  In this case it bisects the Bormann fuse.  Other than some wood fuse cannon balls from the Rev War period I've only seen this one other time that I recall.   The US started using Bormann fuses about 9 years before the great unrest; around 1852.   Could this be a pre-war shell?  Could the Confederates have refitted an early wood fuse ball as a Bormann?  It's hard to tell if the fuse is CS or US from it's condition.

Does anyone else know of any other examples of this?  Is this only seen in Bormann fused shells?  Any thoughts or input here greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 07:45:12 AM by CWArtillery »
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Casting Anomaly
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 11:02:17 AM »
I have seen a few of them.  Generally they are believed to be pre-war stocks and some were used as grenades and I think possibly recovered at City Point.  That you have one from another known CW site is interesting.  I think I have seen them with wood fuse adapters as well.  Cannonball Jack bought one from me that has that configuration and he still has it.

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 12:59:50 PM »
  In my 35+ years of doing "extra-close examination" of shells, I've seen several 6-pdr. and 12-pdr. Bormann shells whose moldseam touches the fuzehole.  I call that orientation of the moldseam a Longitudinal moldseam.  On every such occasion, the Bormann fuze in them was the 1850s form (having two separate square wrench-holes).  Therefore, I think the odds strongly favor your Selma specimen's iron body was manufactured in the 1850s ...regardless of the form of the Bormann fuze in it.

I've also seen a number of "longitudinal moldseam" wood-fuze shells recovered from civil war sites.

I think it's highly unlikely that a wood-fuzed shell would be re-worked to accept a Bormann fuze.  A wood fuzehole would require a significant amount of skilled labor and tooling-work, to ream out the narrow woodfuze hole's walls into into precise-width levels, without "chipping" the brittle cast-iron, and then tap new threading.  We know the Confederates were short of skilled ironwork-machinists.  Rather than commit to such labor, I think both the US and CS Ordnance Dept. would be more likely to just go ahead and issue the old woodfuzed shell for use.  (We know the yankees made that choice, firing dozens of woodfuzed shells during the battle of Shiloh, April 1862.)

Uprdwate:
  I got a notification that another reply had been posted while I was typing mine.  Emike's reply reminded me about the Mexican War era US Navy "Boarding Grenades" that were found among the artillery shells from the exploded ammo supply ship at City Point VA.  Those grenades had a longitudinal moldseam.

By the way... please email me several close-up photos of the Bormann fuze in your Selma-found 6-pounder.  I may me able to identify it as US or CS-made.

Regards,
Pete

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 01:26:16 PM »
Mike:  CannonballJack's is the other one I remember seeing.  It was a nice one.

Pete: Thanks for your opinion on the subject.  I agree that it would be a lot of work to retool just to put a different time fuse in it when they were still using the paper time fuse in large quanities.  But one thing about this hobby that you learn quickly is that a new surprise is right around the corner.  :)

I've already returned the shell to its owner after disarming and cleaning and it's going into a museum.  But I do have one relatively good photo of the fuse I took before shipping that you can look at for your opinion.

I love digital cameras!
Best,
Carl

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 08:22:51 PM »
    I have a beautiful 10 inch ball with the longitudial mould seam and it has a large version of the seacoast drive fuze in it. It supposedly came from Snyders Bluff.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 12:26:32 AM »
Wow, very cool.  I've not seen a large ball with the vertical seam. 
Best,
Carl