Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Big Bang Theory  (Read 10513 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Big Bang Theory
« on: June 14, 2012, 11:47:24 AM »
Some of you may not have seen this stereo view card on eBay.  It's item number 170749812449.  My guess is some large flat top bolts did this based on the shape of the impact.  That would really make for some ringing in your ears if you were inside a ship those hit unless it didnt' have 5 or more inches of iron covering in which case you wouldn't remember anything.  ;D  What is amazing to me is how clean the edges of the impact are.
Best,
Carl

Selma Hunter

Re: Big Bang Theory
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 04:45:51 PM »
See Ripleys book and look for a long row of these test plates leaning up against one of the buildings at the navy yard.

One example is still on display near the bathysphere in Willard Park.

FWIW.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 05:21:13 PM »
Carl,
 under each hole it is labeled XII Cast Iron ____ . Can anyone zoom and read upper left corner?
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 05:52:36 PM »
Bill: What page in Ripley's is it? I was unable to find it after a quick glance.  Also, where is Williard Park?  There is quite a few in the US it turns out.

John:  See the corner inlarged below.  It appears to me to say:
     Battery McManxx
     xxx July 1xth 186x
I can't make out x characters.  I think the date is "July 10th 1862".

Of note the stereo card says "Steel target, 5 inches thick".
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 05:56:51 PM by CWArtillery »
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 03:40:10 PM »
Carl,
  I looked in my copy of Ripley's book and could not find the reference mentioned above. However you know my poor eyesight.
John

Selma Hunter

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 04:06:41 PM »
Hey guys -

It may be that I misspoke and the publication was something other than Ripleys.  Let me look and see what I can confirm/find for you.

Bill

Selma Hunter

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 04:45:55 PM »
All -

I was mistaken as to the source.  Look in "The Photographic History of the Civil War - in Ten Volumes", 1911, Francis Trevelyan Miller, "Part 6 - The Navies", Page 167.

This 10 volume series was published originally in a 10 volume set in 1911, then reprinted in a five volume set and I believe that I even found it once in a three volume set.  I bought mine at a mall bookstore in about 1975.  It is a mediocre quality reprint.  There are frequently sets of this work available on ebay and they sell from prices that are dirt cheap to disgustingly overpriced.  Try www.bookfinder.com if all else fails.  Broadfoot might be another option.

Enjoy.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 07:09:18 PM »
Bill,
Why not make us a scan, nobody has that set of references, at least I don't.
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 08:09:15 PM »
I have forts and artillery but not the naval one of that series.  They do have some neat photographs in them.

You can read that book here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=i8cLAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_atb#v=onepage&q&f=false

Google has the whole series online.  I've also posted the image from it that Bill refers to below.  The one in the image above seems to be the one in the middle of Miller's picture; the second from the left of what lookslike an embrasure (sp?).  That sure is a bunch of firewood piled up behind them to stop anything that went through.  Also they must have been testing at pretty close range, as might be expected in a naval battle, for those trees to still be line up in front of them.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:20:24 PM by CWArtillery »
Best,
Carl

Selma Hunter

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 07:03:19 AM »
Carl -

My take is that the plate sections are in "outside storage".  Any backstop for shooting either bolts or shot would have included a dirt embankment behind the plates. The wood is likely cured/curing white oak that the navy yard used for the construction of gun carriages and other associated equipment.  There are several sections of stacked wood in that photo that would challenge any one man's ability to toss into the fireplace - they are more akin to railroad ties than firewood it appears.  The USN used coke in their casting furnaces - something the CSN had very limited access to in both quality and quantity.  George Peacock, furnace master at the Selma Confederate Naval Gun Foundry & Ordnance Works (the official name) determined to use "pitch pine" in the reverberatory casting furnaces there.  The result was a much hotter temperature than any reached by using coal, coke, wood, etc.  That hotter flame produced a material containing far less carbon than iron produced elsewhere and thus the "best guns of their type produced anywhere on the earth" (or words to that effect).

Coincidentally and perhaps a primary causal factor in my initial confusion as to source, the covers of my copies of Ripley and the Miller "Navies" volume are nearly identical as to color.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 07:23:31 AM »
Bill,
  I knew you would come up with more interesting info. 
This thread caused me to look through my library and guess what back in the dark corner of one of my bookshelves lay the ten volume set of Miller's photo history that I had forgotten, thrfough lack of use, that my good lady had given me for a Christmas present years ago.  Thanks.
Best Regards,
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 10:45:38 AM »
Bill,

Good observation.  I said firewood as the first image in this thread certainly has what looks like good size firewood stacked behind it.  But in the Miller image there is certainly a parts of the shed's contents that look to be large beams of wood.  Thanks for the good info.
Best,
Carl