Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Influx of Suspected Reproductions  (Read 5110 times)

acwbullets

• Email
Influx of Suspected Reproductions
« on: March 12, 2015, 03:18:33 PM »
Has anyone else seen an overwhelming increase in Hanovarians, Trantors, and Deane & Adams bullets. I have been skeptical as it appears they may be Witham specials.

Roy A

• Email
Re: Influx of Suspected Reproductions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 07:16:32 PM »
I have seen them. Some I think are OK, some are not. I do not trust the guy from Tennessee...

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 07:18:25 PM »
Wise decision Roy!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 09:28:32 PM »
JAW?  (Just Another Witham)   ;D
Best,
Carl

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 04:32:37 AM »
I'm no expert but I believe he's been selling a lot of bogus cartridges, too. Have seen Gardner carts going for less than $300. I believe he has some molds and has been busy casting bullets. I messaged him on eBAY telling him his bullets looked painted in his carts and he said that's how they came out of the cartridge box they came from. If it smells like crap it is crap.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:36:59 PM by Daveslem »
Later,
Dave Slemmer

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 06:57:24 AM »
All his cartridges are bogus & have been for at least 6 years.  How he maintains a pefect feedback is beyond me.

Selma Hunter

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 08:06:18 AM »
All

Beware of anything listed from Strawberry Plains, TN.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 09:07:48 AM »
I'm glad this topic has come up again.  I'm very concerned about the sheer numbers of cartridges the Strawberry Plains guy is selling.  He is going to ruin the "real" market.  Many of his cartridges are fakes; many are post-Civil War; and a few originals are mixed in to confuse.  Of concern lately are all the .36 and .44 Colt cartridges he's selling.  They are post-war, most likely produced by H.W. Mason...or maybe even Sears back in the early 1900s.  He had pics of a complete box of these cartridges...the box construction was in no way of the Civil War era, and the label was conveniently torn off.  The "Strawberry Plains" location sets off my red flag when viewed on Ebay, my concern is the secondary market where that association is lost.  So, when at shows, use a wary eye to inspect cartridges!  He uses incorrect paper and often the string is a give-away.  Stains and water damage are often used to make items appear "old."  He sold a Colt tinfoil cartridge...but he doesn't know enough about them and the protective paper envelope and tear strip was all wrong.  Best yet, view his Ebay page from time to time to see what he's selling and don't buy any of that type of cartridge at the relic shows!  A well-known dealer called here asking about "a box of cartridges" he was considering buying.  It was the large box of .44 Colt cartridges.  I told him they were bad.  He didn't believe me because it was a good buy.  (Why did he call for our advice then?)  As far as I know he bought them...and he'll no doubt have them for sale at the shows this season.  Beware!

ETEX

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 12:30:42 PM »
I am sick of seeing his stuff on eBay. He has been selling for years and folks just keep on buying his garbage. >:(

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 08:38:42 PM »
I think we should slam him to ebay and be done with him. He's a cocky prick, too.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

Roy A

• Email
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 10:12:11 PM »
Unfortunately, Ebay does very little to scammers/fakers these days. I know of at least 3 people selling made up Gettysburg provenance items and even with reporting, nothing is done besides the occasional auction being ended.