Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Electrolysis  (Read 6975 times)

alwion

• Email
Re: Electrolysis
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 04:55:08 PM »
would not be a fan of wd40 for metal preservation. That said, I soak my meteorite samples in ATF once a year because they started to rust, as it is thinner than oils so penetrates better, and has alot of anti rust and moisture dissipating ingredients. was thinking about trying it on one shell I have

montcalm

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 06:37:20 PM »
its sound funny but  lot of potatos s,skin in water will take the extern rust off this is an old  way to get axes nice and clean,, let me know ???

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 07:26:44 PM »
Interesting.  I have heard of immersing the iron in a molasses bath, but this is a new one.  A friend used the molasses method and it rounded off the edges around the fuse hole so that stuff must be caustic.  Otherwise it worked fine.

I still have good results with electrolysis using baking powder.  Just did an Archer bolt and a bunch of canister shot ahead of Mansfield, but usually I outsource most of it as its a messy mess and I don't always have the time for it.

James projectiles are the devil with their ribs and I have heard the zinc and lye method is better for them, but if I did get one, I'd just hand it over to Carl along with a few bucks and let him deal with it.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 10:23:56 PM »
I really like cleaning shells but the James shells do try one's patience.  Below are two I cleaned over the last few weeks.  One came out pretty good and you can still see the safety wire on it (right shell toward the top left edge).  They were both found near each other in the Shiloh area within the last few months and were quite encrusted when found.  There are so many grooves, etc that you have to spend a lot of time if you want them square.  But once done it is a feeling of satisfaction.  I have a 7-inch James now that I'm working on for a museum in the panhandle of Florida.  Supposedly it was found in Tallahassee.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:21:27 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 06:47:37 AM »
Good job Carl. Looks like a nightmare to me

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 07:58:19 AM »
James shells are a biotch to run and complete with a good finish.  Definitely not for the person who loves instant gratification.

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 08:01:03 AM »
Concur with the satin poly.  I like the way it makes the iron look after a few coats.