Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: crickets chirping......  (Read 3082 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
crickets chirping......
« on: August 07, 2013, 09:20:09 PM »
 man, haven't seen this site so quiet in along time. Crickets chirping.....  John, I know you are trying to spark up some discussions.......thanks.           Anyone got one of those old photo's for us to dissect ??       Helloooooo........

Pete George

• Email
Re: crickets chirping......
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:50:50 PM »
  Those of us who are heading to the Marietta show have been very busy with the necessary preparations -- and some of us will also be offline for the three show-days.

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 12:02:51 PM »
Here's a weak offering while we await reports of debauchery from the Marietta show.

My g-g-uncle was 1st lieutenant, then captain of the Surry Light Artillery. I have a bunch of family letters going back & forth during the war - & recently discovered that there are dozens of letters at the Virginia Historical Society I didn't know about. I spent most of yesterday reading & copying some of those letters at the VHS.
Unfortunately, the letters I've read don't discuss details that would contribute much to this forum, but here goes.

In May of 1862, half of the battery (2 guns) was with my g-g-uncle at Pagan Creek, in Isle of Wight County, near his home (Bacon's Castle) on the south side of the James River. From a May 3 letter to his parents -

"McGruden's forces have fallen back twelve miles above Williamsburg. Mulberry Point has been evacuated. I understand the Fort at Jamestown Island has been dismantled. Now is the time above all others for the Salvation of the State & speedy termination of the War, or its complete subjugation and the indefinite period of the War. God only can tell what will happen within the next two weeks. The times are pregnant with great events.

I expect to learn that many of your negroes have deserted...

The Quarter Master, Comissary Store transportation  & all else connected have left for Richmond and the Peninsula. Preparations are making for [?] vacating the South side of James River, immediately I think....I think I shall not have an opportunity to see you for some time... I have sent away all ammunition I could, dismounted the guns ready for spiking, and the gun carriages in a pile ready for burning. All of the Batteries along the south side of the river have been evacuated. Jamestown also. I am expecting orders to rejoin the other half of my company at Camp Fisher...The whole of this country, including Norfolk, is now being rapidly vacated by our troops. If you want to save negro property, save it now - hire them if you can to Government. Sister had best go towards Mecklenburg or further into interior out of the probable "line of march" of the Yankees.

I do very much feel the need of another horse. Do you absolutely need the Gray mare?I am obliged to have another horse, if I have to press one & pay the Quarter Master for the use of its hire...

[added as a postscript two days later] I have press all the wagon team etc I can find. If it is impossible to save the guns I will 1st spike them & leave."

[The "half" battery (including the two guns) was able to withdraw in an orderly fashion to Petersburg.]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 12:04:33 PM by Lamar »

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 12:39:50 PM »
Very interesting Lamar. Thanks for sharing.
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee