Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Whitworth Abundance  (Read 3627 times)

Roy A

• Email
Whitworth Abundance
« on: November 22, 2014, 11:36:42 AM »
Have noticed a recent trend of cheap Whitworths popping up on ebay and something just feels off. Anyone else notice it too?

Bryan

• Email
Re: Whitworth Abundance
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 12:38:45 PM »
I've noticed it also. The prices they go for have me wondering about them. I've got one(from Mike :))  so I'm not even trying to get one of these.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 11:26:48 PM »
In looking thruu ebay's "completed" listings I see what you are talking about.  The two things that stand out are that one seller is from the UK.  They are truely whitworth bullets, but not from the American Civil War. Obviously, he knows he can do better by selling them as CW bullets instead of the English bullets they are.  Similar situation as with all the numbered Enfields that showed up from Canada.  Most of the others I saw were 1880s Sharps buffalo rounds.  They have a distinct profile, a variety of lengths, and a dished cavity.  So your feelings about these is well founded.

Roy A

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 09:29:17 AM »
Now that you mention the dished base and profiles I see it, never thought about them being buffalo rounds. I got one from Dean at the auction so I'm good but it just surprised me to see so many recently.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 09:54:52 PM »
To be grammatically clear, the "one" you got from Dean's auction was a nice, real Whitworth bullet, not a Buffalo Sharps round.  I just put another published Whitworth bullet from that auction on the for sale page.