Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: what are these bullets? 59 cal inside primer & weird armor piercing  (Read 4196 times)

burningincense

Hi ... this is my first post :) just bought a collection of old cartidges everything from burnsides to billinghurst requa shells.  Some i can figure out what they are and others i cant seem to find anywhere so i thought this would be a good place ...

This particular bullet is .59 cal bullet. neck is .627 .650 at base and rim is .753  1.19 total length of shell. looks to be inside primer possibly frankford arsenal ? i cant find this anywhere.. any help would be great. no headstamp

i will also be listing alot more bullets that i cant seem to find :D

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 01:52:57 PM by burningincense »

burningincense

Re: what is this round? 59 cal inside primer ....
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 01:45:08 PM »
here is another mystery round..... it is lead sealed with a solid steel armor piercing tip. where the lead is it is .431 shell length is 2.23"  -- rim is .64 ---mouth .461  -- should .50 and base area is .524

any ideas ? 

burningincense

Re: what is this round? 59 cal inside primer ....
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 01:46:19 PM »
forgot photo

Selma Hunter

Re: what are these bullets? 59 cal inside primer & weird armor piercing
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 07:59:57 AM »
burningincense -

May I suggest that you look into purchasing or borrowing publications written by Dean Thomas ("Round Ball to Rimfire" in several volumes) or the works of Mr. George Hoyem (also printed in several volumes).  Dean can be contacted through Thomas Publications in gettysburg and Mr. Hoyem can be reached thru armorypub at aol.com.

Either way, your presence and participation here is welcome and you will receive exellent answers and support on this site.

Cheers.

ETEX

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 03:33:08 PM »
I am not a cartridge collector so I can't help in the identification of these rounds but there are several extremely knowledgeable forum members on period, post war, and European Cartridges.

Welcome to the forum and at times it may take several days for responses to questions but that is due to the rigors and normal activities of life.

burningincense

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 08:00:50 PM »
thanks....ill check out the book if i can :)

thanks guys