Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Enfield with 7 Spokes  (Read 9389 times)

ETEX

Enfield with 7 Spokes
« on: May 12, 2012, 03:50:04 PM »
Here is a unique "Rimless Wheel" base mark for a Enfield. Notice the extra spoke with it almost parallel to the one below it. Thought I would share the bullet with a pic.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Enfield with 7 Spokes
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 07:08:58 PM »
I don't know anything that will help with your question but just wanted to say nice job on the images!  You don't often see nice clear images of the bullet cavities.   :D
Best,
Carl

ETEX

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 07:38:45 PM »
Carl, I didn't have any questions. Just wanted everyone to see a unique and different base mark of an Enfield bullet. I picked this one up from forumite PIA several years ago. Thank you for the comments on the photos of the cavities.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 11:00:32 AM »
My bad. I guess I was reading an implied question on the odd spoke configuration.  Sometime my mind gets lost like that!  Thanks.
Best,
Carl

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 08:47:17 PM »
ETEX, I was also admiring your phtography - would you mind posting how you set up to take such great photos of the cavity?  I've not been nearly as successful at trying to do the same thing.  Thanks!

ETEX

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 02:06:46 PM »
Misipirelichtr

I tried everything for years to be able to take a decent photo to no avail. I asked question after question of forum members and followed their advice and still no luck. I then decided I was making it way to difficult for the pics I wanted just to catalog and post pics of my collection.

I purchased a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W80 7.2 meagapixels and the rest is history. I use a 8 inch tripod that is adjustable to about 2 feet and let the camera do the rest. The photos of the Enfielb base in this thread were shot on automatic setting with me holding the bullet. I also had the macro setting to enable. I use no extra lighting or anything. If you have other questions ask away.

Bill Ewing

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 03:18:37 PM »
At what distance from bullet to camera lense would you say you were snapping shots?  I have a similar bullet and one with multiple offset spokes.  I think they call it the Rose base.
Bill

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 09:55:25 PM »
ETEX, thanks for your note back regarding your photography technique.  Very helpful.  I'm missing the small tripod; as soon as I get my hands on one, I'll give cavity photography another "shot".  May be back with more questions

ETEX

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 01:44:04 PM »
Bill, I was holding the bullet approximately 3 inches from the lens on this photo. This one was taken with the flash on also. When I photograph most of my bullets the flash normally adds glare spots and I very rarely use the flash.

I do not have a rose based Enfield although I have seen a couple. When Tom Stelma and I spoke about this bullet we pretty much agreed it was a variant of the rimless wheel base stamp. Hope you can get photos of yours to post and anyone with a rose base stamp I would appreciate seeing photos.