Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Wet Behind The Ears And Needing Help  (Read 7845 times)

Jine

Wet Behind The Ears And Needing Help
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:08:53 PM »
Greetings,

Brand new here, and the identity of this one is proving to be elusive, for me anyway:

It has a solid base, and relying on shape only, it reminds me of a Colt Dragoon (489, M&M), but nothing else squares:

Length- .864

Diameter- .477

Weight- 306 gr. (postal scale reading in of tenths of an ounce, weight may be in "the hood" only)

Any help will be greatly appreciated. TIA! :)

"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
Welcome!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 08:45:45 AM »
Jine, welcome aboard.

You got me on this one.  Obviously fired, but other than that................

I don't think it's a #489.  How about another pic of the other side?

ETEX

Re: Wet Behind The Ears And Needing Help
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 01:32:37 PM »
Jine, welcome to the forum.

I agree with Jim it is fired and I don't believe it is a MM-489.

It has the appearance of a Sharps Carbine but the measurements don't seem plausible for the new model Sharps. I would also like to see more pics if you don't mind. I am not ready to go out on a limb about what it could be just yet.

Do you know where the bullet was dug?

Jine

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 06:33:44 PM »
 Thanks for your interest, gents!

I've taken a few more pics, included the opposite side of the first image.

I'm with y'all that it's not an MM-489; but I also have no idea otherwise. I even broke out the Starrett outside micrometer to verify my electronic caliper wasn't whacked. The readings were the same except the length was a tad shorter at .860, probably more accurate as I was measuring from the center of the base.

This was dug at Brandy Station two weeks ago.

Thank you again!
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

Jine

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 05:44:54 AM »
   Thanks AggieReb. I laid the bullet just-so in the first image to record the rings, as the rest of its circumference is purt-near smooth.

I find some ringtail Sharps that come somewhat close in dimension, but obviously this isn't one. You may very well be right, as I have no better suggestion at present.

Thanks again!