Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: .54 Calibers, as requested  (Read 8727 times)

AggieReb

.54 Calibers, as requested
« on: March 21, 2012, 10:25:20 AM »
Removed
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:51:21 PM by AggieReb »

ETEX

Re: .54 Calibers, as requested
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 02:25:17 PM »
It will take me until this weekend to get to look at this list but I do want to throw the MM-389 into the bunch being a 54 caliber that is very similar to the MM-440 in profile with a difference in sizes.

ETEX

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 04:29:57 AM »
Comments for the 3 Ring 54 Caliber.

MM-389/440 - I don't have one but I do believe they are the same bullet or very dang close to being the same.
MM-412 - I can see this being the same or a variant of the MM-439 Vicksburg Rifle but I can't go along with the MM-411 being the same.
MM-413 - another bullet known as and associated with Georgia Troops. The size variations are tremendous in this bullet. I have one that measures at 1.091 in length.
MM-415 - listed as an Austrian in the MM and I can only speculate the name was given due to the close appearance to the MM-320/321/448.
MM-417 - I don't have one and haven't seen a 54 caliber with a plug nose that distinctive. The bullets been fired, stepped on, and who knows what else so the identification is a tough one. Anyone have a close resemblance of one in their collection?
MM-418/419 - For years known as a Selma Arsenal. Compare these to the MM-476/T&T 144.5/Stelma 06-217 as well as the notes on page 186. Same bullet as the MM-418/419 apparently poured without the base plug. I have seen a couple of fired specimens but not many. Jim would you comment on the MM-418/419 since yall found no documentation in Selma for the RBTRF IV.
MM-420 - I consider this bullet the 54 Caliber version of the MM-384 as listed in the MM notes. I believe the cavity may have been misidentified.
MM-421 - does anyone have this bullet with the length as long as MM states at 1.105. If they have a spare I would be willing to purchase one.
MM-431 - this bullet is not a salvaged lead/Richmond Arsenal (Lehner/White) bullet. This is a very rough bullet with lots of ground action and the patina worn off.
MM-453 - as Wes noted has been known as a sharpshooter bullet. Okay I go out on the limb on this bullet all the time and catch a lot of flak because I believe it is a 54 caliber version/variant of the Texas Troops/Cove Creek Minie. I have no documentation but just a very strong belief on this.
MM-460 - I had not heard this bullet being mainly a Port Hudson and Mississippi found bullet. I can go along with that because mine came from Grenada, MS. I would love to hear from anyone else that has information on this bullet and dig locations.

It's late and again I have just gotten off of work and added these comments to the 54 Calibers. I will cover the MM-500/600 series after some sleep.

Any of the leadheads or anyone else jump in and add comments/agreements/disagreements/etc.

rommack

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 09:21:05 AM »
Thought I would chime in on bullet #460 -- I have dug quite a number of these in Confederate camps behind the lines at Port Hudson.  I did dig a camp outside Port Hudson that was attributed to a Mississippi Regiment and there were quite a few 460's at that camp.  Maybe this could help the possibility that this bullet was cast at the Jackson, Mississippi Arsenal.

ETEX

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 10:50:47 AM »
Rommack, thanks for the input and like I said in my post that unti Wes noted the bullet being a Port Hudson and Mississippi dug bullet I was not aware this bullet having been mainly dug and associated to these areas. I would like to know how many diggers have dug this bullet in the Eastern Theatre and if they know the troops associated in the areas they were dug?

ETEX

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 02:47:56 PM »
I would find it very unlikely the MM-460 was not produced at the Jackson Arsenal with the circular that was distributed indicating the arsenal at Jackson, Mississippi would produce/distribute ammunition to the troops in Mississippi and West Tennessee. It would surprise me to find the 3 Ring 54 Caliber Mississippi Rifle bullet was not produced at Jackson but to be honest I don't know what ammunition was produced/distributed by and from the arsenal.

I had requested input from diggers/collectors on this bullet being dug in the Eastern Theatre/Army of Tennessee/Atlanta Campaign to determine if the same bullet had been produced at the other arsenals or if it happened to be Jackson Arsenal specific.   

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 05:19:27 PM »
I got mine from PIA who said it was recovered at Vicksburg, MS.

ETEX

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 07:36:17 PM »
Mike, mine was also dug by Gary, but the Grenada, Mississippi area gives him away to who dug it.