Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Delvigne  (Read 12927 times)

dlw1610

• Email
Delvigne
« on: February 26, 2012, 04:59:26 PM »
Anyone know if this bullet saw Civil War usage and any idea of the weapon that fied it?

Thanks

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Delvigne
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 05:10:01 PM »
I got mine from your buddy Steve Burgess who wrote:

"Recovered 2 miles North of Cane Hill, Arkansas in Major John W. Whitfield's Texas Cavalry Battalion, Winter Headquarters '61-'62.  Dug by Matt Longwith of Cane Hill."

Bill has one from somewhere else. 

At least one jealous Easterner who doesn't have one in his collection has sour grapes to such a pathetic extent he has gone so far as to suggest it could be a cartridge box finial.  Of course, I think it was only in the last year or so that he finally, begrudgingly agreed that the MM292/3 Musketoons weren't cut off three ringers  :P

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 05:25:11 PM »
Thanks a lot.  I have a  fired mini-Devligne found by the late John Marks at Muddy Creek, Tennessee.  Shiloh Relics had a dropped mini that I just missed last year. 

Got Tom Stelma's cd & SCWB2 book as well.  Fantastic; helped me correct id on 3 or 4 bullets.

ETEX

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 05:34:35 PM »
Mike,

Who was so kind to let you know of that fabulous bullet from Cane Hill, Arkansas. :'(

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 05:41:23 PM »
You, oh grand and glorious ETEX. 

I should add that there are a very few Delvignes out there that were sold by a certain someone who has picked up a reputation in some circles for casting bullets from old molds.  They have a light patina because he reportedly ages them in his front yard but not long enough to pick up a thick patina coat.  My bullet has a nice, thick patina and a solid provenance, but this is one you probably need to be careful about.  When in doubt, give it a good scrubbing and if the patina washes off, run!

Here is the picture Steve took of mine.  It actually has a much more pleaseing beige-ish patina, but I am too lazy to re-photograph it
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:46:53 PM by emike123 »

ETEX

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 05:51:20 PM »
I kick myself every now and then especially when the photo of that bullet shows up. I still can't believe I didn't buy that bullet but called you so it could go into your collection.

Mike is right on this bullet. Be very careful who you get if from and make sure it has a solid patina. The one Mike got has probably got the best patina I have seen on a Delvigne.

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 06:16:34 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  There is one for sale @$950 but patina isn't there.  Wonder what weapon it was used in?  Got a nice State Guard minie from SB as well as a Cosmo II;  he kindly allowed me to trade extras +$.

ETEX

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 06:48:38 PM »
David, I have been trying to get SB to sell me one of the small caliber state guard minie, but at the time he didn't want to come off of any of them. Don't say I blame him. I have one that measures in 48 Caliber range but sure would like one in the 38 caliber size.

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 06:50:21 PM »
Hey Michael,

Mine is in .48 caliber range like yours. 

ETEX

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 07:21:17 PM »
David, mine measures at .484 x 787 x 240 and I sure would like to add the 38 caliber right next to it. Guess SB needs to go dig some more of these so he will turn loose of the smaller calibers.

Bill Ewing

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 07:48:59 AM »
My Delvigne came from Warsaw TN out of confederate picket post area where whitworths were found as well.  I think Larry Hicklin found one a few years back in Tennessee as well.

Bill

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 11:10:06 AM »
Thanks Bill

Believe the one Larry Hicklen had was bought from a digger & now is for sale at Civil War Outpost,  Page 5 under bullets.  Would appreciate an opinion.

David

Bill Ewing

• Email
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 11:41:21 AM »
Ok - Someone educate me what a State Guard minie is and is there a pic?  And them PM me who SB is.  Maybe I need in on some of this action if it is not something I already have.

Bill

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 12:28:06 PM »
Bill:

You must be losing your memory in old age because I answered this question for you already on the old forum.  SB is Steve Burgess of Campsite Relics (digginfool@campsiteartifacts.com) and the "State Guard minie" refers to bullets he and Stan Hughes wrote about in an American Digger article.  Jim and Dean have since come to the conclusion that these were for Kentucky rifles, re-rifled to a couple consistent calibers for use by Tennessee troops.

Anyone feel free to add or correct me if I misstated anything.

ETEX

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 01:43:40 PM »
Mike,

The only other term that may be used for the States Guard is the Teeny Minie. Other than that it sounds like you covered it.