Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Any ideas?  (Read 7633 times)

Skip

• Email
Any ideas?
« on: February 19, 2012, 06:51:19 PM »
This relic hunter walks into a bar and...oops, wrong story. This relic hunter shows up at the Memphis show and has three bullets, all drops, and asks me what they are. I've never seen this type of bullet before so I asked him where he found them and he says he dug them "near Shiloh".
I asked if he wanted to sell them. He declined and after talking a while got downright rude. Maybe he thought I was a little too forward when I shoved that pen and paper in his hand and instructed him to draw a detailed map showing exactly where he found them.

Then that silver tongued devil Meigs chimed in and got him to part with one with a little help from Ben Franklin and Andy Jackson.

This forum has most of the best minds in the hobby so we would be greatly indebted to the members for their opinions. The bullet mikes out at .456 x .925, has two squared grooves and a very shallow conical cavity. Caliber and shapewise it looks similair to M&M 439. Thanks in advance for your imput.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:36:56 AM »
At first blush it reminded me of a Bartholow (MM479), but its not really the same.

Ah, the Memphis show.  How was it?  I only went once, no mas.

Is our old buddy still around to sell LeMat slugs and Tranters of all sizes "from Shiloh?"  Hopefully he's out of that racket, and he took his grandson with his small fishing lure box full of those phonies with him.

ETEX

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »
Skip, can you tell what happened to the cavity. By the photo and zooming it in it looks like it was scraped out or carved out. I  really can't tell and I am not saying it was but thats how the photo appears. Interesting bullet and will do some thinking and looking on this one.

How was the show, I haven't made it in several years and totally forgot about it being in February.

Mike, Mike, Mike at least he carried them in a appropriate container. They do make good fishing sinkers.

Big Lefty

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 07:35:45 PM »
Any post-war bullets ever been dug "near Shiloh"?

Skip

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:47:37 PM »
I would assume that there have been a few dug "near Shiloh".

Right now I'm trying to track down a cache of case shot dug "near Pine Bluff".