Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Thoughts, Oppinions?  (Read 11397 times)

Steve Phillips

• Email
Re: Thoughts, Oppinions?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 08:45:51 PM »
The weight of the three lead pieces that I have is 12.03 oz, 12.76 oz and 10.25 oz. The last one was underfilled. These pieces are not from the bottom of a ladel because I can see where the lead flowed over on the top so whatever they were cast in was this size. The width is uniform on all three at 2.4 inch. The height is .6 inch. I have never paid any attention to these before but now I am curious. When I hold two together they look like a big pendelum weight but I don't know if there were any this size.

joevann

• Email
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 09:39:50 PM »
Ladles can be filled to overflowing and not all cast iron ladles have pouring spouts.  The ladle used may not have been manufactured specifically for casting, but liberated from a cookhouse.  Context is everything in digging artifacts.  Does anyone think something as specialized as a pendulum hause was being manufactured in the field.  Men play with lead.  We are big kids.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 10:43:38 AM »
Here is a CS one recovered in the Mobile area.  I know they came in larger diameters as well, but most are this size.