Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Any Insight?  (Read 1673 times)

Jine

Any Insight?
« on: October 13, 2021, 05:27:02 AM »
Greetings; it's been quite some time, fellows.  :-\

With extremely limited information to provide at this moment, would anyone be able to provide a guess at a glance what this is? Other than what you see here I can tell you that it is 10.5 inches in length and the fuze hole is proportionally large. It has sparked my interest and I'm trying to dismiss it.

The length has me stymied, possibly something foreign?

Thanks in advance for any input.
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Any Insight?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 05:15:56 PM »
Its not Civil War era with that style driving band.  I think its 20th century which is outside my wheel house.

Jine

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 05:19:30 AM »
Thank you emike123!! This reply is exactly what I was looking/hoping for.

All the best...

"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 11:48:06 AM »
This looks like an early 1900's shrapnel shell.  They are often seen at shows.  Most seen are  75mm.  We have a link off bulletandshell.com that goes over the more modern artillery (1880 to 1945):
     http://cartridgecollectors.org/index.php?page=introduction-to-artillery-shells-and-shell-casings

In there is a description of your type shell:
    Shrapnel shells are another form of antipersonnel shells.  They were first developed by Henry Shrapnel in the 1780s and were originally called case shot.  Shrapnel shells were phased out of use by most countries by the end of WW2.  Modern (post-1900) shrapnel shells are are filled with lead balls in a matrix of resin.  The lead balls are called shrapnel (fragments from any other type of shell are shell fragments, not shrapnel).  The shells are time fuzed and have an expelling charge that causes the balls to be expelled out the front of the shell above the target.  The balls then spread out and hit the target.  Figure 31 shows a photo of a shrapnel shell and a diagram of how they work.
Best,
Carl