Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Tools & Sights  (Read 39704 times)

Treadhead

• Email
Re: Tools & Sights
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2012, 06:23:50 AM »
Paulson Brothers 13 inch mortar

The link Dave requested:

That’s far too cool! Especially the second shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v7bLf2ipmA

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2012, 08:57:32 AM »
   On the down range shot the sound goes all funky when the shell explodes. I am told that is because the microphone on the camera couldn't process\ handle all the frags whizzing through the air !!

Could you image being on the recieving end of that thing coming in !!??  It sounds like a jet motor spooled up.

Again, my hat's off to you folks here on the forum that have endured combat; us lessers can not, nor will we ever, be able to understand what you all put on the line for us.     David

alwion

• Email
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2012, 11:37:43 AM »
side note: I had "heard" that the reason fired 10" shells and shot are so uncommon dug, was they could penetrate 10+ ft into the ground, and are most commonly dug when doing a commercial building, since a home foundation is usually only 9 ft. That explosion in the vid makes me believe!!!. My son and I then watched some of the related vids. Really scary:( how much "better" we have gotten at distruction

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2012, 11:42:22 AM »
Scott,             well, I got you on that one [  replica \ reproduction 13 inch mortar balls ]. While talking to Bruce Paulson yesterday about his video of live firing a 13 inch mortar, he gave me some facts.
    They cast their own 13 inch mortar shells. They used a wood time fuze adaptor with a paper time fuze. Twelve pounds of powder inside the shell. twenty pounds for the propellant charge. Flight time of the ball was 18 and 1\2 seconds downrange one mile.
       They have shot about 40 rounds out of it through the years. Interestingly, they were having about a 50 % success rate getting the paper fuze lit and the shell exploding. They devised their own ' McEvoy' style fuze igniter, and now they have 100% success rate on their shells.
    Bruce also said that the lesser the caliber of mortar, the higher percentage of having the paper fuze light. He said the 24 lb Coehorn's always lit, 100 % of the time. But the 8 and 10 inch respectively had a poorer fuze ignition rate. Interesting....
    Do you all think that the distance the fuze is from the edge of the windage with barrel where the flame would be more concentrated is the problem that the flame can't reach it ??
     Do you think the shear blast of 20 lb's of powder would just blast that ball out of the short  barrel before the flame reaches it ??
    Any other ideas ??
         Make sure to go to youtube and type in Paulson Brothers 13 inch mortar to view this video. And you can check their other video's to see a whole assortment of life cannon firings. Maybe someone can link it on here.

Dangit!

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2012, 01:17:26 PM »
In his post which showed artillery tools from the sunken USS Cairo (ironclad gunboat) CWArtillery wrote:
>  Has anyone else seen this style?   Perhaps they aren't fuse wrench at all.  They look very much like a key.

Your guess is correct, that style is not a fuze wrench, and is a key.  Specifically, a key to the very special kind of lock on a Navy artillery fuze storage box.  I currently cannot recall that special lock's name ...but like shells, it was named for its inventor.  Note, the lock was not separate from the box, like a padlock, but was built into the box's wooden side.  They are extraordinarily rare, because the Army Field Artillery seems to have never used them.  A couple of that special type of Navy fuze-box lock, and several keys for it, were found where the 7" Mullane and Brooke shells were dumped off of the CSS Richmond into the James River below Richmond VA.

Perhaps somebody here whose brain isn't as elderly as mine can recall the name of that special lock for Navy fuze-boxes.

Regards,
Pete

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2012, 01:26:45 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Good to know! I wonder how many have been dug by people and discarded as some old key.
Best,
Carl

alwion

• Email
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2012, 03:16:01 PM »
While trying to find the name of this key ( no luck) I did find this site with alot of pictures of items recovered from the Cairo.
http://www.americanheritage.com/category/collection-keywords/uss-cairo
some artillery items

alwion

• Email
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2012, 01:25:23 PM »

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2012, 07:34:06 AM »
 it was not real. Paulson Brothers produced them for awhile, as did others. Everything the guy has sold artillery wise, has been repro, and he admitted it. He just was non-decisive on this piece, probably knowing he could get good money for it. And he started it out with a buy it now for $ 450.     auction fever...........

alwion

• Email
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2012, 11:22:51 AM »
Curious, since they would be rare either way, what would a Paulson repro bring? I would think it would have run $400-$500 new, would take some money and time to produce. and yes auction fever can be a bad thing, I've had it hard to cure :'(

alwion

• Email
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2012, 11:16:05 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Antique-Civil-War-Pa-Estate-Bormann-Cannon-Ball-Fuse-Punch-Not-Dugged-NR-/230738919023?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b91c7e6f

Pretty good pictures, not sure if it's real.  curious why the steel stem goes through the brass where it could be struck? Is this normal for the design?

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2012, 11:59:47 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Antique-Civil-War-Pa-Estate-Bormann-Cannon-Ball-Fuse-Punch-Not-Dugged-NR-/230738919023?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b91c7e6f

Pretty good pictures, not sure if it's real.  curious why the steel stem goes through the brass where it could be struck? Is this normal for the design?

Of course, "not dugged" means having no tits. Which is pretty usual for a Civil War relic.

acwbullets

• Email
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2012, 02:16:27 PM »
I am not sure why people pay so much for these wood tools. I am sure that some of them were used to punch fuses but they same could be said for nails, file ends, etc. Would you pay $150.00 for a nail? :o

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2012, 07:06:48 AM »
                                   They are a dual use tool. Most of them available on the market are just that - wood working or etching tools. But, I have seen multiples of these dug in different artillery positions [ supposedly ] and that gives them a credence of being Civil War used, hence they are collectable. I do not believe they were ever an issued item, just an item put to use.
    You can see a true Bormann fuze punch  pictured in Jones' book on page 155, or come visit my collection to really see it !!

alwion

• Email
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2012, 08:59:19 AM »
from what I have been able to reseach, this listing looks like a original rough borman punch. Do they  reproduce (fake) them, and why would the shaft of the punch extend through the brass?  I have never seen a woodworkers punch with a brass head, too much work and cost for too little gain. I would love to see someones personal collection, but everyone is sooooo far away from hickville where I live  lol