Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: National Civil War Naval Museum  (Read 6741 times)

relicrunner

National Civil War Naval Museum
« on: October 19, 2015, 02:14:12 PM »
This past weekend, I got a chance to spend a few hours at this museum in Columbus, Ga. Beautiful museum and some incredible one of a kind displays. Well worth time spent. The last time I saw the CSS Jackson, it was outside under a shed and the museum was called the Confederate Naval Museum. Took some pictures which Carl will post in the near future......I need to be taught how to post them :-)

The museum had many flags on display. The largest was from the CSS Atlanta, 24'x16'. Somewhat surprised and disappointed that there were no complete artillery projectiles on display. Only the nose and base of a 30lb Parrott that was recovered from the river.

Selma Hunter

Re: National Civil War Naval Museum
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 08:34:19 AM »
relicrunner,

You are correct in your assessment of the museum.  It is rebounding from several years wherein the emphasis was on "Museum Theater" or something like that.  Many artifacts that had been on display were tucked back into corners and/or generally placed into storage.  They have a number of really interesting projectiles and at least one frame torpedo.  The biggest issue in getting the material back out for the public to see has been money for proper display cases, floor space, etc.  The financial support from the city has fallen off over the years and they haven't had the resources that such a fine musuem should have. The new (April of this year) Executive Director is a delightful lady named Holly Wait.  She has reinvigorated the staff and made many changes that have just begun to show through to the public.  The smiles on the faces of the staff reveal much. 

The staff has considerable experience and the living history element with the CSN crew is especially impressive.  I would encourage anyone who likes large guns (naval, seige & seacoast) to visit the place.  There are numerous (6?) 9" Dahlgrens (oddly scarce the further you travel south) and examples of 6.4", 7", 10" and 11" double banded Brooke guns can be viewed there if you don't mind a short drive to a local cemetary to view the 6.4".  They also have a Parrot rifle althought I don't recall the bore size.  There are occasions where they fire a 5 lb charge in S-111 (original Selma tube) - that is also impressive.  You can contact the museum to find out when they will next offer that demonstration.   

Dr. Beach

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
 . . . and where is housed a unique relic--one near and dear to my heart, and my work (which some of you know): The Commission Pennant of the CSS Diana.

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 09:32:18 PM »
I don't like the fact that several items in museum are fakes. The spar torpedo is not real and several fuzes are also not right.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 10:31:22 AM »
Sorry for long delay in getting this posted as I was traveling.  Here is Jim's cannon pic:

I noticed the stone the trunnion rests on seems to have a crack that extends down into the top row of bricks in the pedestal.  Don't guess it is much of a danger since the pedestal is nearly touching the underside of the tube and has a concave surface to cradle the tube should the trunnion support give way.  Thanks for the nice image Jim.

I am very much looking forward to getting down to the museum one day.  Sadly I live only a couple hours away and have never been inside it.  But I hope to make it down there soon.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:21:21 AM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

redbob

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 07:04:15 PM »
It is worth the trip and stop by the Army's Infantry Museum while you are in the neighborhood.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 12:05:03 PM »
Some more images of flags, guns and armor.  Jim can give details.

Armor:

Flags:

Cannons:

Best,
Carl

relicrunner

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 01:50:06 PM »
Thank you Carl.....
The first image is a profile of what the armor on the CSS Jackson would have looked like.....4" of iron backed up with oak.
2nd image....amazing collection of flags....the big one was from the CSS Atlanta, 24' x 16'
last image....labeled as CS siege guns, 11" on the left and 10"....

Selma Hunter

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 04:40:38 PM »
Gents,

The "seige" gun on your left in the last photo is "S-97", a double banded Brooke smooth bore weighing 23,572 pounds having an 11" bore.  The tube on your right is "S-87"a double banded Brooke smooth bore weighing 21,562 pounds having a 10" bore.  The 11" was cast on 10 August 1864 and shipped to D. H. Ingraham in Charleston on 14 November 1864.  The 10" was cast on July 19 1864 and shipped to the same place in the same shipment.  Both tubes were made in Selma at the Selma/Confederate Naval Gun Foundry and Ordnance Works then under the command of Commander Catesby ap Roger Jones, of Hampton Roads fame.

Since these guns were large and very heavy Navy guns and the Army ran the railroads these guns were "removed" from the rail cars at Columbus for what the Army deemed "more important" cargo.

And so it was between the army and the navy. Still is I suppose!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 04:47:56 PM »
Bill,

Not sure what "these guns were "removed" from the rail cars at Columbus " means?  Are you saying they never made it to Charleston and weren't used in the war?
Best,
Carl

Selma Hunter

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 05:49:12 PM »
Carl,

The Army had a very bad habit of tossing Navy cargo off of "their" trains.  In this case these guns made it as far as Columbus when the Army tossed them off.  The guns never made it to Charleston.  They were in a pile of scrap during WW2 when the son of the recently deceased caretaker discovered them and only by serious threats were they removed for posterity.  There are 5 complete (if you ignore the nose of S-85 albeit the broken muzzle is there in Columbus) and a major section of the chase of S-102 in Columbus to be seen.  As far as I know there is no record of any of the tubes being used in the defence of the city at the end of Wilson's raid but I would defer to Charles Misoulia for a more definitive answer on that one.