Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: I.D. Quiz;  (Read 8812 times)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
I.D. Quiz;
« on: March 27, 2012, 06:18:28 PM »
Try your hand at this one. Hint:1865 patemt
Regards,
John
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:57:38 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: I.D. Quiz;
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 12:28:12 PM »
Now look how easy that was! My thanks to eMike and Dave the Plumber for the loan of their images.
Regards,
John
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 03:28:24 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 01:40:45 PM »
John,

What battle was that dug example you show from?
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 03:26:28 PM »
Carl,
Because of it rarity, I am not at liberty to say at the m oment until the owner says okay.
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 04:03:54 PM »
Not knowing anything about this particular one or whose it is, I am not violating any secrecy vows to mention that I believe a fired one or two of these have been found near Fortress Monroe where a lot of testing took place.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 05:53:47 PM »
Mike,
Perhaps you can influence your friends to post images of what they have dug without disclosing location.
All the Best,
John

ETEX

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 06:17:59 PM »
I didn't realize you treadheads have such secret vows on where a dang artillery shell blew up. Guess that's why I collect bullets. If it is dug at a certain battle site or in a certain theatre or in a certain state or associated with a certain unit I will tell ya where the bullet came from. Wow what a great dinner I just got up from. East Texas venison backstrap fajitas.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 06:51:20 PM »
Sir;
  The person who found this rare sabot has requested that I not mention where it was found.   I gave my word and it is as simple as that.
Regards,
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 07:02:35 PM »
Often times, especially for fired artillery, if you know the battle then you can narrow down to a large degree where it might have been found.  A large moving battle like Shiloh or Gettysburg can be tough to do that at but a smaller one like Kennesaw Mountain isn't.  Once you know the caliber you can figure the type of cannon and often narrow it down to a few batteries and then just go locate the impact area.  It still is a long shot that you'll find anything but helps the odds a lot if you are obsessed with finding a particular round.  But most of the time people just prefer not to say or give vague answers.

Regarding this item, in my opinion, it appears more period than war used much like a 3.67-inch Delafield and thus only of interest to advanced artillery collectors.  But for the advance collector it is apparently a very hard item to add to the collection.
Best,
Carl