Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Another Iron Bullet  (Read 5765 times)

Jine

Another Iron Bullet
« on: December 02, 2016, 04:06:22 AM »
Not mine, darnit, but I believe found in Georgia. Any new theories out there about these? Possibly used as shrapnel in arty rounds? ???
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

tom buckley

• Email
Re: Another Iron Bullet
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 12:22:55 PM »
I would think that casting iron three ringers for case shot/shrapnel wouldn't be practical since iron or lead roundballs would be adequate. I have no clue about this but, it has obviously been in the ground for a long time. 

Jine

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 06:40:49 PM »
I agree Tom that it seems like an impracticality to be molding them out of iron, but am at a loss to determine their purpose. Someone observed that the base diameter appears smaller than the ogive which doesn't do a thing for me in solving the mystery.

Thanks for your reply! :)
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 04:44:58 AM »
Looks like some sort of plug to me.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 05:18:39 AM »
I agree with Steve

tom buckley

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 07:21:38 AM »
Maybe a finial??

alwion

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 07:06:43 PM »
lead sleeve missing like on an archer shell?  early armor piercer? interesting

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 09:42:05 PM »
I do not think it is a plug of any kind. If it were, wouldn't it be more tapered and solid with no rings. What would be the point of rings on a plug. Not sure about case shot either as someone mentioned, wouldn't it be more efficient to just make them round like they did. What would be the point of making case shot shaped like Minnie balls but larger. Were all known specimens located in same area or in numerous areas. I believe it may be some sort of fence post ornament or some other decorative piece. Could it be the projectile portion of an early small caliber anti aircraft round, don't laugh just throwing out ideas.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 09:54:46 PM by speedenforcer »
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Jine

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 08:15:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies, guys. I've since discovered it was dug in SE Georgia which adds little to nothing to the story, but it was originally indicated to be .69 in caliber but the story is now it's more like .75. There's been a couple comments here suggesting it might be ornamental and I'm forced to lean that way.

My "Another" in the subject heading was due to this:

http://bulletandshell.com/forum/index.php?topic=486.msg3500#msg3500

Thanks again for the inputs!

tom buckley

• Email
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 06:42:28 AM »
Apparently these were found on a Civil War period site but, what else happened in the area since the Civil War? That may give a clue.
If it is a bit larger than .75 inch, 20mm is about .78 inch.