Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Sounds like a Rick Armstrong fake  (Read 6158 times)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: Sounds like a Rick Armstrong fake
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 06:03:46 PM »
Scott,
  I don't use ebab so I don't know much about it.  Last week a person had a 3 inch Tennessee sabot shll posted for sale at $10.00 (ten)
surely he knew what it was?
  Today on your cannonball URL another shell, aged almost identical, to the one above, now has posted a 3 inch Schenlkl shell for $12.00 (twelve).
What is this person's game anyway.  Is  he pitting collec tors against each other?  Can he turn down a bid until he gets what he wants??
Regards,
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 10:02:50 PM »
John,

There are different strategies for used by people when planning their auctions.  Some people like to post things very low to get people bidding on it and hoping to get a bidding frenzy going to get a higher price.  To do this they chance not many people seeing it and bidding up the price thus selling for a much lower dollar amount.  But odds are with the high number of people on eBay that it'll sell for what it's worth if it's anything nice.  Something like a ratty shell might sell for very little because of the lesser interest.

Other people want to protect their investment so they set a reserve price on it even though the starting price is much lower.  Basically this is a minimum amount they'll sell for and they hope the frenzy takes it above that reserve price.  If not, they don't sell it and not much lost.

And a third lot of people put the starting price and reserve at closer values or they just sell it with 'Buy It Now'.  They figure if someone wants it at what they're asking they'll sell it.  Otherwise they keep it.
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 10:18:47 PM »
Carl,
Thank you for the scheme of eBay.  Rascals at best.  Did you notice that both shells had the sme degree of rust?
John

John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 11:13:23 PM »
If it's the Tennessee sabot shell I'm thinking of it's the one which has been extensively in our discussion as an example with a possible tie ring on the wooden sabot.  The only schenkl I see currently is:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CIVIL-WAR-SHELL-NO-3-ALL-SHELLS-EMPTY-/130630710287?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6a32740f
which is being sold by the same person who had the Tennessee sabot shell.  They seem to all be early digs which might explain the similar corrosion look.

The cannon ball referred to in the link above is from a different seller than the Schenkl and Tennessee sabot.  They don't normally sell military items it seems.  If you look at their other items it's books and toys.  So they may well no know what they have.
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 10:30:53 AM »
Carl,
That is the Schenkl I refer to.  It started out at $12.00 when the cannon ball was posted.
That is a nice increase $305.
Regards,
John

alwion

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 11:14:34 AM »
john you questions are very valid, and sorry to say true. having "stood up" for alot of ebayers, and everything in the previous posts are 100% true and CWArtillery summed up alot of my posts simpler, Thanks:)   allow me to introduce you to the Dark Side

an honest ebayer , or even your local auctioneer, uses the previously posted technique

The dishonest dealer or local auctioneer.....
1. starts a bid low, and might
   1a Cancel the auction at the last minute if it's not high enough
   1b  shill bid, with a false account or a friends to run up the price
   1c   sell offline to the 1st acceptable offline offer to save the selling fees, some never intended to sell, but got a free ad
I complained alot originally, and ebay says that the item Is the sellers, and they are free to do what they want till sold, and its getting alworse

I spend a Hugh amount on ebay every year, taking risks and also buying from respectable dealers. I have bought many nice things, some newly listed buy it nows very cheap from unknowing people, usually people way out of there field of knowledge. That is a risk all dealers take at auction, ebay or local

I have Never made an initial offer outside of ebay, I like auctions, but here is what you about have to do,Keeping in mind whats happening above. I hate this, takes alot of time, and has only been in the last 5 years It was necessary

I email the seller, and simply ask, due to the high number of items being sold offline and the auctions cancelled, will this auction run full length or is there a buy it now price. I would just like a fair chance at obtaining this item.

If it's really up for auction, they will say it will run full length and there is no buy it now. Fair enough, I really prefer this. If its not really an auction, they usually tell me how much it is, and you make a decision. The Honest ebayer will cancel and relist to you on a buy it now, ebay gets there cut, The dishonest sells it offline, ebay doesn't get anything

It's not pretty, I liked it better 10 years ago when it was an true auction, but this is the current reality
I got really tire of things I was watching "disappearing" and I had no chance. emailingbthe dealer many times revealed they had sold for less than I would have paid, to there loss. I still insist 90% plus of ebay dealers are honest hard working people.
I don't know much about shells, but I do know ebay. I fought them on all this for years, and lost

oops off topic again, but not worth its own thread
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:17:49 AM by alwion »

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 12:19:28 PM »
Back on point, Rick Armstrong used to sell Rev War balls with this same story. The ones he did not sell from old museums or that retired professor from a New York University whose daughter wrote all those letters with her aged hands...All BS.

UP FOR AUCTION IS AN ORIGINAL CANNON BALL FROM THE CIVIL WAR OR REVOLUTIONARY WAR. EXCELLENT ORIGINAL CONDITION WITH A VERY DARK PATINA WITH PITTING AND SOME LIGHT RUST. BALL WEIGHS 15.1 POUNDS AND MEASURES APPROX 4 3/4 " I PURCHASED AT AN AUCTION WHERE THERE WERE 6 OTHER BALLS THIS BEING THE LARGEST ALL CONSIGNED BY THE SAME FAMILY. THESE HAD BEEN PASSED DOWN THRU THE FAMILY FOR GENERATIONS, ORIGINALLY THE FAMILY HAD RESIDED IN NEW JERSEY WHERE THE CANNON BALLS WERE FOUND / DUG ON THE FAMILY PROPERTY MANY MANY YEARS AGO..

alwion

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 12:37:56 PM »
I have a 50lb REV War for import cannon I bought at a mall years ago. Took me years to find out Never believe the tag. met a guy this week who bought two identical, same area, not same place, but his two were $60, mine was $175. i'm still a little sore about it. I bought my canister round fakes less than a year ago ( Pilot knob).   their smaller and hurt less

years ago I also passed on a large shell which I reconize now as having had 3 watercap fuses for $45 ( he had 3)

you must study and learn , and you will still make mistakes

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 01:37:02 PM »
Thank you  both for your information and still don't understand the system fully.  Anyway I have no intention of using EBab to buy anything.
Regards,
John

alwion

• Email
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 03:06:35 PM »
None of the above was ebay, the dirty rascals are everywhere. We can only protect ourselves with knowledge. Which is why I'm here, and value being here so much Thanks all