Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Hardware Question on the "S"  (Read 3196 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Hardware Question on the "S"
« on: January 29, 2016, 05:03:26 PM »
In keeping with John's understanding that the forum topics should "relate to hardware and not with projectile trajectory physics", here is a hardware question:

What does the letter "S" signify when found cast on the bottom of a 100-lber Parrott shell?  I figure it means "Sabot end" for the young gunner but since there might be another explanation I thought I'd ask this esteemed group.   ;D  This short pattern 100-lber is from the Mobile area and looks to have been white metal percussion.  I don't know much more than that.  I was flushing the insides for one of the forumites who might be able to give more details on it's history.  Just as I was about to plunge the cold steel bit into the even colder cast iron I noticed the raised "S" on the bottom of the shell.  I forgot to measure it but the letter is about 2 inches high and about 1 inch wide.  In the box outline in the 2nd image below the "S" is positioned from the lower left to the upper right.  While not crisp it is definitely there.  I don't recall ever seeing this on a Parrott.   I know Mike got a couple CS ring-sabotted Brooke shells from Spanish Fort/Blakeley that have similar letters on their base (I think a "B" and "P" if I recall correctly).  Anyone seen this before?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:05:16 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

natdigger

• Email
Re: Hardware Question on the "S"
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 05:15:05 PM »
Not sure what it means. But that is a cool shell.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 06:59:48 PM »
not sure either but I have seen one from Ft Fisher

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 07:01:26 PM »
I just sold a 100 lb Parrott last weekend with the same letter 'S' on the base that was definitely recovered from Fort Fisher.  But, don't know what it means.....