Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: 1 of 1300 or so...  (Read 8850 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
1 of 1300 or so...
« on: June 23, 2011, 03:03:47 PM »
CWArtillery and I saw this Dimick bullet mold in a private collection a year ago and I was finally able to secure it.  The material in the collection was mostly dug in the Deep South.

Per several articles including one in RBTR 3, the rifles were issued with numbered molds to them.  This is #959 and I think just over 1,300 were made.

The bullet in the mold is a .47 caliber but the mold appears to be slightly larger.

Its the only bullet mold I own.  Its handles are broken and its missing the cavity insert, but I like it!

PIA

Re: 1 of 1300 or so...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 05:42:46 PM »
Nice!  The only Dimick bullets I ever dug were across the road from Grant's HQ at Fort Donelson, TN, in the 1970's the day before John Lennen (of the Beatle's) was killed.  Was late in the evening and would have dug some more if I'd known that I might have never dug one again.  The area has been bull dozed since then.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 08:17:45 PM »
Ok; I"m going to show my ignorance about bullets but curiosity forces me to ask two things:
1) Isn't there normally a spue cutter on a bullet mold?  I don't see one here.
2) The opening at the top appears to be to pour the lead in but how does it get it's nose shape after pouring?

Remember it's not nice to make fun of the aged or curious!   ;D
Best,
Carl

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 11:58:36 AM »
Carl,

These didn't have sprue cutters.  They would need to be "nipped" after they were cast and removed from the mould.  I have found through practice that once you cast a bunch of bullets, you learn how much lead to pour so there's no sprue.

ETEX

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 01:50:24 PM »
Mike, nice mould. You picked a good one to add to your relic collection. If I were to purchase any yankee moulds it would have be a Dimick. Sure would be nice to have a base plug for it. Great relic.