Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: CS Wishing Well bullet question  (Read 10358 times)

misipirelichtr

• Email
CS Wishing Well bullet question
« on: May 28, 2011, 11:12:56 PM »
I have both of the "Greene" Enfield type bullets from the CS Wishing Well (long and short pattern).  In the initial article in North South Trader, the author wrote that they were manufactured in Savannah.  I've not been able to verify that one way or the other.  Can anyone provide additional information on these bullets?  Thanks in advance. 

Jimmy

ETEX

Re: CS Wishing Well bullet question
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 03:08:53 PM »
Jimmy
  I am not well versed or historically knowledgeable on the "Wishing Well" and bullets. I have casually read a few articles over the years but have not paid that much attention to the cache of bullets that were recovered. That is stupidity on my part. I would appreciate any inputs on the Wishing Well and quanities and different types of bullets recovered and general historical information. I know this forum has some highly qualified individuals that could answer a lot of the questions many of us may have but some appear hesitant to ask. I know I didn't answer your question but hopefully we will both get beneficial information on responses to the posts.

acwbullets

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 09:57:46 PM »
There were apparently only four types of bullets found. The short and long green patterns, the .72/.73 Foreign, and the .69 French Dragoon bullets. I am not sure if there was a total count on each individual type but there were almost 8,000 bullets recovered if I remember correctly.

ETEX

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 04:47:28 AM »
Ian, thanks for the info.

misipirelichtr

• Email
Ian, there was a fifth type...........
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 12:04:39 PM »
a few .69 round balls were also recovered - not very many as I understand it, but I did acquire one directly from one of the gentlemen who found the site.  And I have two cavity variants of the French triangular.

Do you know anything more about the Greene variant?  Was it made in Savannah or Macon (another theory I have found via the internet)?

Mr. Stelma, I know you have to be out lurking on the forum somewhere.  Any ideas?

ETEX

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 01:53:03 PM »
I do not have either of the green pattern (wishing well recovered) in my collection and if anyone has extras they would like to sell contact me by PM.

acwbullets

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 01:06:23 AM »
I finally got my hands on the article about the Wishing Well today. I am not sure why they thought that the bullets were produced in Savannah other than the fact they were found there. If you look at the ad in the back of magazine they are selling the .72/.73 Foreign mold bullets for $35.00 each and that was back in 1991. The total for bullets was just over 7,000. That is a nice pile of lead.

PIA

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 11:56:34 AM »
I purchased a few of the 'Greene varient' bullets back then.  Do not remember what I paid for them, but wonder what they sell for now days.

ETEX

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 04:05:48 AM »
Gary, do you still have any of the Greens from the Wishing Well, if so either email me or PM me. That goes for anyone that has the short and long variants that came from the well. Need them for my Enfield collection.