Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Iron Schenkl Time Fuse Adapter?  (Read 2899 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Iron Schenkl Time Fuse Adapter?
« on: April 23, 2016, 10:47:06 PM »
Hello,

I'm cleaning a 3.67-inch prototype Schenkl shell that I thought had a broken off brass percussion fuse body in it.  It came from the western theatre.  Once the crud and rust started coming off, I noticed the fuse (adapter?) appears to be made of iron.  I'm a long way from having it ready for images but will post some when I am ready but was wondering if there was an iron Schenkl time fuse adapter?  It is too dirty to tell for sure yet if it is tapered or not.  I just thought I'd ask this esteemed group if they knew of an iron time adapter in hopes that might could possibly be one.  I suspect it is an iron percussion that blew the guts out and left only the body but that's still better than the broken off brass body I thought I had originally.  :)
Best,
Carl

Pete George

• Email
Re: Iron Schenkl Time Fuse Adapter?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 11:25:03 PM »
  There was no such thing as a Schenkl timefuze adapter-plug. What you're seeing has to be a blown-out iron Schenkl Percussion fuze.  It did not have the "lip" we see on brass Schenkl Percussion fuzes.

Don't you own a copy of Chuck Jones' book on civil war artillery fuzes?  :)

Regards,
Pete
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 11:26:13 PM by Pete George »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Iron Schenkl Time Fuse Adapter?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 12:05:29 AM »
Pete,

Thanks.  Yes I do have that book and I looked but we know that pretty much all books have errors and new things are found that weren't around when the book was written.  More wishful thinking than anything.
Best,
Carl