Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Artillery Horses  (Read 8786 times)

callicles

• Email
Artillery Horses
« on: May 04, 2012, 02:40:50 AM »
Guys,

Can anyone here tell me how artillery horses were used during "combat"? 

Specifically, I'm interested in what was done with the artillery horses in somewhat open, clear ground in direct combat, not siege operations. 

Were they pulled back and put out of the way so that they would not be targets, or were they hidden, or were they just kept next to their pieces, limbers, etc.?

If anyone could direct me to any old literature (or new), I would be appreciative.

I love this site!  Thanks
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:42:28 AM by callicles »

Jine

Re: Artillery Horses
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 05:50:13 AM »
  The better educated can build on this brief response, but the artillery horses had to tough it out and take the same chances as the gunners. On the chances that guns needed to be repositioned or withdrawn they needed to be readily available, at least close enough to be called up at the command.

A graphic example of this can be found in Robert K. Krick's Conquering The Valley, in describing the struggle at the Federals' critical artillery position at The Coaling during the Battle of Port Republic. In the vortex of violence focused on and surrounding the guns, none less than Major Roberdeau Wheat, commanding the infamous Louisiana Tigers, emptied his pistol in to the horses, then went about cutting their throats with his knife, an onlooker describing him as "bloody as a butcher". Krick goes on to state that the colonel of the 66th Ohio ordered his men to shoot the horses as they were interfering with the defense of the guns, and that an Indiana soldier heard that two of the batteries lost a total of 68 horses killed.

There is a moving monument at the Virginia Historical Society honoring the 1.5 million horses and mules that died during the war, image attached.

"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

mccaul

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 07:29:05 AM »
There is a good diagram in my book on artillery fuzes showing the regulation setup of a battery and all of the horses are right behind the guns.
Ed McCaul

swest47

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 09:30:57 AM »
I have read any number of books covering numerous Civil War battles. In every case officers would report the number of artillery horses lost. I'm assuming so they could get replacements.

It seems that the horses, as stated above, were kept in close proximity to the guns incase they had to quickly retire. I have also read of instances where the gun crews with the aid of other soldiers had to remove guns because there were no horses to pull them from harms way.

ETEX

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 01:22:56 PM »
A very interesting thread.

Jine

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 05:21:33 AM »
Agreed, ETEX. I imagine this subject has been documented in detail, somewhere out there.

I was wholly dissatisfied with the online image I provided of the memorial in Richmond, so I removed this photo taken a number of years ago from its frame and scanned. Unfortunately for all, the memorial is now enclosed in a wrought iron fence, and such an image is no longer possible to record. I believe it was fenced in to prevent "tagging" of the monument base. That in itself is a sad commentary on these modern times.

"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

ETEX

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »
Jine, great photo of the statue. Being from around and having horses throughout my life just seeing the statue hits hard. These animals would have suffered a tremendous life with the lack of feed and grueling hours required for campaigns. That statue is fantastic showing characteristics of overworked/underfed horses with the loss of muscle and in a state of moribund. Thanks for sharing.

Jine

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 05:51:04 AM »
ETEX, while I don't want to sound like a PETA member, I do think that when folks consider the suffering that accompanies warfare, as a general rule they limit their thoughts to two-legged creatures. This monument does give reason to pause and reflect, and thankfully it looks like there's another from the same casting in both Fort Riley, Kansas and Middleburg, Virginia, still available for recording without the protective fence.

The left side viewed here, in a nicer setting in Middleburg:

I envy your life spent around horses, incredible creatures in so many ways.

relicrunner

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 07:29:24 AM »
If y'all have not seen it, the moive "Warhorse" shows some of the sufferings artillery horses were exposed to in WW1. The movie is somewhat "hollywoodized" (if you know what I mean) but is a good story.

ETEX

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 01:43:50 PM »
Jine, you are correct when one thinks of war we tend to only consider the human aspect. I will say the books I have read state a pretty strong case for the men doing the best they could for their animals. The ACW was just a tough time all around. It is unique looking at the two different statues with the artists having the back right leg kicked in each of the statues.

Jine

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 06:03:21 AM »
relicrunner, I considered mentioning that movie, but could only assume what you stated with more authority, that it's a decent representation of the story. Sorry to hear of the "Hollywoodization" part, but unfortunately wholly expected.

ETEX, agreed on all parts. Pertaining to care for the mounts and beasts of burden I recall reading somewhere, perhaps D.S. Freeman, of CS cavalrymen making sure their horses ate first, then scraping through the dirt to pick out whatever kernels of parched corn the horses might have missed for their own sustenance.

I've included an image below taken Tuesday of The Coaling, where the action I described earlier took place. The image is poorly composed (taken from "behind the wheel"), but as an artillery position this unimpressive eminence dominated the river plain for a mile-and-a-half that was Jackson's approach (from the right in the image) to the Federal line. The Coaling served as the left anchor of that line.